Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1927, sitting 10yrs wanna start it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 1927, sitting 10yrs wanna start it

So next weekend is a local prewar car Show and I want to take my dads 1927 Victoria coupe. The car has been sitting on jack stands for 10 years. I want to be able to at least drive it up on the trailer so I can take it to the show. Today I changed the engine oil, filled the transmission and differential with 140 gear oil. I also bought a new battery for it.
    On the steering gear box and behind the backing plates and other places are some zerks that I have not seen before. I think they are a gear oil type zerk is that correct? I’m going to dig around the shop and see if my brother and I can find the correct tool to fill these areas. Dad passed 5 years ago and there are corners of the shop we have not been in since.
    I’m going to put some gas into it tomorrow, luckily the tank was drained when it was put away 10 Years ago. I’m think it will start right up, I hope so anyway.
    So I am also looking for suggestions on what I should do for a car that has not been started or used in 10 years.

You could pull the spark plugs and put a shot of fresh oil in each cylinder, then turn it slowly with the plugs out to lube each piston and rings. You will need to cover each hole loosely, with a rag to avoid shooting oil all over. I have started engines that have sat for 30 years or more without much problem. I wish you luck, and hope that you make it to the show. It will be a nice tribute to your father to have it running again.

Comment

Pics of the car and the zerks in question.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190531_152030.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1728198Click image for larger version

Name:	20190531_104701.jpg
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1728199

Comment

Originally posted by 715m29 View Post
        Pics of the car and the zerks in question.[ATTACH=CONFIG]81357[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81358[/ATTACH]
        I do not believe that these are "Zerk" fittings, but they are there for lubrication. I believe that they are not factory, but added later for convenience. I believe that the ones shown should get gear oil.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hopefully this will help in tracking down the necessary lubrication fittings. BTW, really nice car.

Google should be a big help. Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob. The Alemite name did not come to mind right away.
            I do not know enough about that vintage to know whether you should use gear oil or grease.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

715M29;
              First I would add light oil to the cylinders and then try to turn the engine over by hand. Did 1927 cars have a hand crank?
              As for the fittings on the gear bx. First I would remove them and see wheat is inside. Then if needed add the correct lubricant
              I would also disconnect the fuel line and to the carburetor and try to start the car off of a gas can.
              Push the car outside and have a fire extinguisher handy.
              Ron

Comment

Nice looking car. Those grease fittings look identical to the ones on my 1929 Chevy Coach. (2 door)
                I suspect your car will fire right up, or at most need the points to be cleaned.

Comment

So after checking all the lube points on the engine I put in 2 gallons of gas turned it over four times by hand with the hand crank. With help of my brother It fired up after about 4 tries. Once it ran for a few minutes it sounded good. Next weekend I'll drive it up onto the car trailer and take it to the show. Thank you for the pictures and info about the zerks and the grease gun. After some searching in the shop my brother found just the tool as shown in the advertisement posted.
                  I was concerned about the vacuum fuel pump system but it worked perfectly. I almost hooked up the battery wrong, not used to having positive grounds. Luckily last night we found a reprint off the 1927 operators manual that was very helpful to have as a reference.
                  Thank you everybody for the info and the ideas, I'm happy to finally have this car running again and possibly back on the road this summer.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_193302.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1728206

Comment

Wonderful- news, congratulations and best wishes for happy motoring.
                    John Clements
                    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Say a thanks to DAD for saving all that stuff!!!!!!!

Comment

Happy to hear that it's running, and hope that it doesn't sit for another ten years after this show. It's a great looking car, and people will enjoy seeing it out.

Comment

Do yourself a favor. run all the gas out and then go get some NON ETHANOL Gas. It lasts longer and doesn't destroy old fuel systems as fast.

Comment

Old Iron show was a success, drove it on and off the trailer without an issue. The car received a lot of nice complements. Had a lot of interesting conversations with folks who came to the show, some questions I couldn't answer but in the slow times I was reading the owners manual and latter the shop manual so next time I'll know more. There was a 1925 Star and I thought that was an interesting car and a Franklin was there also. All in all it was a great show for a town the size of Pendleton. I hope to get dads 1916 to the show next year and double Studebaker content. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190607_135650.jpg
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	1728317

Comment

Working...
                            X