Radiator Bafflle Seal Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Radiator Bafflle Seal Install

Can someone tell me the correct way to install the baffle seal on my 62 Hawk. In the parts schematic, attached, it looks like it sits on the outside of the baffle,grill side, but it is hard to tell. If that's the case you would put the new staple in the baffle from the engine side and then push the rubber seal onto the staple on the grill side and then bend the staple to hold the seal, is that correct?

Or does the seal go on the engine side of the baffle? There is no sign of the original seal but the staples are placed as you would in the first method, seal on the grill side. Aesthetically it would seem to look better on the engine side but perhaps that defeats the purpose of the seal?

Any insight is appreciated!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190530_101132.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1760576
    Sorry it's sideways!

Baffle attaches to grille side.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
      Baffle attaches to grille side.
      Thanks, when I dry fit I see that is really the only way.

Comment

Take a look at page 43, Body - C Models, Figure 89, in the 1959-1964 Shop Manual. I would think that C and K models would be the same. The rubber seems to be stapled from the front of the radiator support. Unfortunately, I put mine in backwards a few years ago!

Name:	IMG_1545.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1728192 Incorrect install

Thanks for everybody's input. I reversed my incorrectly installed rubber seal.

Name:	IMG_3549.jpg
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1728202 Correct install
        Last edited by 56GH; 06-01-2019, 11:07 AM.
        Bill L.
        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
          Take a look at page 43, Body - C Models, Figure 89, in the 1959-1964 Shop Manual. I would think that C and K models would be the same. The rubber seems to be stapled from the front of the radiator support. Unfortunately, I put mine in backwards a few years ago!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81311[/ATTACH]
          Yes, that definitely shows it going on the other side. It even looks in that photo as if the staples went in from the front which would be tough to do.

Comment

On my '62 the rubber is on the front. Mine is screwed on, probably by a previous owner, but staples going through the rubber into the metal makes sense. I'd bet that is how it should be. Just like the suspension skirts, in through the rubber, out through the metal. Look closely at the staple holes, they'll tell you which way is correct. The staple holes will be very slightly dimpled in on the side they went in from and pushed out on the side they came out. I just checked, mine clearly went through the rubber first.
            sigpic

Comment

Yup, through the rubber first then through the metal and the staples are bent over against the metal. Bill

Comment

Working...
              X