master cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: master cylinder

Just got two '63 Larks. Master cylinders are bad. They both are Bendix with casting number 617974. Can't find remanufactured or rebuild kits. They are split masters, car has drums all around. Single bolt holding down the cap. I also can't get the pistons out of there bore. Is there a trick or tool to aid in removing the piston.

Do yourself a favor and throw them away. Get a NAPA 36237 master cylinder and adapt lines as necessary. Strongly recommend running new lines anyway--if the inside of the MC is rusted and pitted, why shouldn't the lines be the same? --and they have less than .03 wall thickness!

Comment

I agree with totally replacing the master cylinder. That particular master cylinder is commonly available and barely costs any more than a rebuild kit.
      Just for the record, the piston assembly is held in by a retainer screw that is behind the tube seats. The seats are easily removed for access. Again, replace don’t rebuild, but this is a case of reading a shop manual for instructions on how to disassemble.
      Correction - the piston assembly retainer screw is located at the stop light switch opening. It must have been 40 years ago when I last rebuilt on of these and my memory is faulty.
      Last edited by Studebakercenteroforegon; 05-29-2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Lola (Donovan)!

Repair Kits for the '63 Dual M/C are NLA, so that is why most are using New 1970 AMC Ambassador, Matador, Gremlin, Pacer, Jeep M/C's with the Line fitting openings both the SAME Size and on the ENGINE Side that match the 1964 Brake Lines.

So on a '63, the Lines must be replaced with smaller, standard size compression nuts and double flared 3/16" Lines.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 05-29-2019, 12:07 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

To get out a stubborn piston, just block all outlets except for one and the fluid entry. Then, adapt a grease fitting onto the free outlet. A grease gun will push the piston in a jiffy. This is also very usefuf on disc calipers.
          Nice day to all.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Now to get a AMC/Jeep m/c.

Comment

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+cylinder,1836
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I use one for a '67-'76 Corvette with manual brakes. It runs $21- $47. It does use the 3/16 tube, but with one 7/16-20 fitting and one 1/2-20 fitting. It fits Cameros, Novas, Chevelles, El Caminos, and a couple Jeeps too.
                https://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1040892&parttype=1836

Comment

Working...
                X