Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tim333
    replied
    Neither link says how to secure float to the arm.

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-sending-units

https://www.fueltankparts.com/fuel-t...ing-units.html
    Last edited by rkapteyn; 07-19-2019, 07:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark L View Post
    For those who can't get a used or free neoprene float from a donor sender to replace a rotten cork float, Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co. sells a replacement float, part number 05-03395, for $3.35. Shipping charges are extra. Modification of your current sending unit is not required as described in post #7 above. The hole down the center of the float is 0.165 inch diameter, so a larger outer diameter washer may be needed on the end of the wire to keep the float captive.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...t-05-03395.php
    What is used to secure the cork float back onto the rod?

Leave a comment:

• Mark L
    replied
    For those who can't get a used or free neoprene float from a donor sender to replace a rotten cork float, Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co. sells a replacement float, part number 05-03395, for $3.35. Shipping charges are extra. Modification of your current sending unit is not required as described in post #7 above. The hole down the center of the float is 0.165 inch diameter, so a larger outer diameter washer may be needed on the end of the wire to keep the float captive.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...t-05-03395.php
    Last edited by Mark L; 06-22-2019, 08:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tomnoller
    replied
    Thanks for the helpful info!! You guys are the best!

Leave a comment:

• DieselJim
    replied
    Originally posted by tim333 View Post
    Rich do you know of a source for the copper washers? S.I. doesn’t carry them.
    Check out ACE hardware. You won't believe the things they have.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    Yeah, I meant washers. Source?

Leave a comment:

• Henry Votel
    replied
    Rocket1.

The detailed solution to your problem ia at the SDC Website: --Resources, --Studebaker Tech Tips, Specs and Data, --Replacing the Cork Float on your Studebaker Fuel Level Sending Unit.

Replacing the Cork Float on your Studebaker Fuel Level Sending Unit

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by tim333 View Post
    Rich do you know of a source for the copper screws? S.I. doesn’t carry them.
    You need copper WASHERS not "SCREWS".

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    Rich do you know of a source for the copper washers? S.I. doesn’t carry them.
    Last edited by tim333; 05-24-2019, 07:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
    Can anyone recommend a specific sealant for the new sender gasket - or just a dry fit?
    Hi Tom, if you have a New Cork Gasket as Original, the #2 Permatex should work as good as any, just NOT Silicone RTV Gasket Maker.

A Neoprene Gasket should not need anything, but all need New Copper Washers under the 5 Screws!

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    The GM brass float I used cost $8, the Ford ones cost $11 with free shipping on ebay. A new Stewart Warner, generic sender with a plastic float, currently costs $20 to $30 depending on where you buy it, shipping can also be free. I used a VDO neoprene sender gasket, with no sealer, $5.50 from the local Napa store was the best price I found.

Leave a comment:

• tomnoller
    replied
    Can anyone recommend a specific sealant for the new sender gasket - or just a dry fit?

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    I've had 3 Buicks in the past few months with non working tank senders. I fixed one by bending the rubbing contact down and putting a small curl in the worn end. They are now made with such thin metal that they wear out way too soon.
    One mechanic said corn gas left corrosion on a sender, and he had luck by using Textron gas additive to clean the corrosion.
    When I worked at the junk yard I used to save the modern floats, but I sure didn't save enough.

Leave a comment:

• acolds
    replied
    Another way to go is to get a float from a newer car with pump in tank they work with the new gas most repair shops have old pump senders laying around. I replaced the float on my Clipper with float from newer car pump. A point to watch is that the float and pickup tube have to be made to fit into opening in tank Another point is the sender for Clippers are not same ohm rating as Studebaker senders

Leave a comment:

Working...
X