Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

What Is This & How Do I Get Rid Of It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: What Is This & How Do I Get Rid Of It

Click image for larger version

Name:	89D76AF2-53BA-4B94-BC1A-24C49291EDD3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1760559
    I’m working on my Dad’s ‘64 GT.
    What is this thing on the firewall I’ve circled and what do I need to do to get rid of it?
    I want to put the coil back down on the intake manifold where it belongs.

That is the ballast resistor. Put it down on the manifold along with the coil.

Comment

The Flamethrower Coil could be replaced with a correct one and mounted properly on the intake Manifold, but you need to find out WHAT you have for a Dist.

It is likely electronic or has a Electronic, Pertronixs Brand Unit in it that does require a 40,000 Volts or more Coil.

Does the Car run OK?

If the Ignition wire to the "Ign" Terminal of the Ign. Sw. does run THROUGH the Resister to the Coil, you may only be getting 8 or 9 Volts to the Coil, if you bi-pass or remove it, you will get the full 12 volts, which may be good depending on the Distributor System you have.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 05-22-2019, 11:26 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yea its a ballast resistor, follow Stude Rich's advice. this item can and will cause some maddening problems down the road, dont ask how i know. a Pertronics unit needs full Batt voltage to work properly. Luck Doofus

Comment

If it has a pertronix setup.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01760.JPG
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1728139Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01761.JPG
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1728140It can be mounted here on the intake manifold.

Comment

I recommend using a ballast resistor with the Pertronix coil. I don't care what Pertronix says about using their coil with 1.5 ohm primary winding resistance and no resistor. I've had several of their coils fail due to over voltage which causes overheating and eventual failure of the coil. If a ballast resistor is used, the output at the coil will drop about 5 kilovolts which will not be noticeable on most Studebaker engines. Actually the coil being mounted on the firewall is better for the coil as it doesn't absorb heat from a hot manifold, though it doesn't look as nice. The Pertronix module does need full voltage to function correctly so do not connect it to cold side of the ballast resistor. Bud

Comment

Some truck models had no mounting bracket on the manifold and the only option was the firewall, I don't know why?Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01774.JPG
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1728145

Comment

It's a TRUCK! Trucks were expected to be like Police and Taxis, they COULD be subject to long periods of Idling and more so, heavy Pulling, and Hauling which means MORE HEAT!
                  Which is also why they had Low Compression Heads, not only to run on lower octane cheaper fuel, but to reduce heat.

There is a reason Studebaker had a very complete, well used and effective "Proving Grounds".

The Firewall is a cooler, better location under those possible conditions, especially the Large amount of Ton, Ton and Half and 2 Ton Farm Trucks Studebaker sold.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The car does have a Pertronix module. But I can’t for the life of me remember why my dad had this done with the ballast resistor. I’m very sure someone did this for him since my dad was no kind of mechanic and certainly wouldn’t have fooled with the electrical system. The car hasn’t run for close to 2 years now, the last time I was here. Thankfully I have my ‘63 GT here now too and can compare it to mine to get it correct again.

Comment

Working...
                    X