Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Exact Hawk traction bar measurement needed (part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame/Springs: Exact Hawk traction bar measurement needed (part 2)

This photo shows an Avanti. I would like this same measurement from a Hawk with factory traction bars. (Center of leaf spring mounting bolt to center of traction bar mount stud.)

The instructions with the repro frame brackets give a measurement from the axle shaft centerline to the center of the trac. bar mounting stud on a horizontal plane. The measurement in the photo would be much easier to get right. Thanks in advance!

I have 9 1/8" center to center as shown.....my brackets are not factory...I am using the Fairborn (or T-Bow's) kit with the adjustable bars.

You my want to wait for someone who has a factory installed set shines in before you set the torch afire.
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Also, remember the front spring mounting bolt on the other side (drivers side) is in a different location; the upper hole if it's correct.
      sigpic

Comment

Matt, I'll get those measurements for both sides for you in a little while. Mine is original and on the ground for the correct angles. I just got home from the eye doc and my eyes are dilated, so give me a little time for them to settle down a bit. Bill

Comment

OK Matt here's what I've got on mine. Both sides the spring is mounted in the lower hole of the spring perch bracket and I used my 1" wide steel rule (somewhat flexible if wanted, though I tried to keep it as straight as possible), and measured center to center from the mounting bolt head of the springs to the center of the traction bar stud/bolt. The left side is at 6 5/16" +/- about 1/32nd, and the right is at 6 3/8 +/- 1/32nd. I had to hold the rule at an angle on each side, that's why I'm +/- a 32nd. Hope this helps you out, let me know if you need anything else. Bill

Comment

Bill... THANK YOU! Just what I needed.

See what happens when you sell me a rear end with traction bar mounts?
            Last edited by mbstude; 05-21-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Matt -

A quick note about Studebaker traction bars...
              By design, they will not stop wheel hop in most conditions.

To be a more stable platform, they should be down by the spring for better support.
              So...if/when you get wheel hop, it shouldn't be totally unexpected. I've seen it happen, first hand.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                Matt -

A quick note about Studebaker traction bars...
                By design, they will not stop wheel hop in most conditions.

To be a more stable platform, they should be down by the spring for better support.
                So...if/when you get wheel hop, it shouldn't be totally unexpected. I've seen it happen, first hand.

Mike
                Mike, thanks for the insight, though the fun of this project will outweigh any performance gain. It’s more of a “the body is off the frame, and the rear end has traction bar mounts, so why not install the bars....” sorta thing.

Comment

Working...
                X