Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Avanti A/C Condenser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Avanti A/C Condenser

So after installing a new York compressor, rec/dryer, and new discharge hose, and NOS R12, I have myself a nice leak......back to sq one.........evac the system for one hour, replace three pounds of R12 with dye. Found the leak at the top of the condenser where the hose attaches....look at page 169 in the Avanti parts book, ill number 2102-125. My question: That fitting on the hose could only be tightened just so much, if I find the leak to still be emanating from the same point, any suggestions as to what I should do next? Is there any kind of sealing gasket I can introduce in the hose end/ or on the condenser fitting itself?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    So after installing a new York compressor, rec/dryer, and new discharge hose, and NOS R12, I have myself a nice leak......back to sq one.........evac the system for one hour, replace three pounds of R12 with dye. Found the leak at the top of the condenser where the hose attaches....look at page 169 in the Avanti parts book, ill number 2102-125. My question: That fitting on the hose could only be tightened just so much, if I find the leak to still be emanating from the same point, any suggestions as to what I should do next? Is there any kind of sealing gasket I can introduce in the hose end/ or on the condenser fitting itself?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
    Any car parts store will have a package of assorted silicone O-ring seals for A/C use. They will seal a metal-to-metal fitting which has a small leak. Don't overtighten on them.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
      Any car parts store will have a package of assorted silicone O-ring seals for A/C use. They will seal a metal-to-metal fitting which has a small leak. Don't overtighten on them.
      Jeeze, I never thought of that:-(..........many thanks!

Comment

So sadly today I discovered that I can not utilize silicone O-ring seals for my specific needs...in my case the fittings connecting the receiver/dryer have flared ends, so flat washers are n/g.....now looking for copper compressible fittings that I can utilize, contacted 4-seasons and some other entities....like Grangier(sp) will also contact some commercial air conditioner companies as I am quite sure their field mechanics will know what I need.
        Originally posted by jnormanh View Post

Comment

Looking at same problem,different application. soft copper washers from HF. OD reduced slightly then washer is coned slightly. worked for me decades ago. Luck Doofus

Comment

you can machine them if necessary.

Comment

Problem solved!!.........Contacted a company in Florida named "Cold Hose" and ordered copper sealing washers specifically for flared ends that do not seal properly any more! Contact number is 800-223-7167. Thanks to all who have weighed in:-)
              Originally posted by doofus View Post
              Looking at same problem,different application. soft copper washers from HF. OD reduced slightly then washer is coned slightly. worked for me decades ago. Luck Doofus

Comment

Tomorrow the Avanti gets a full set of copper sealing washers..........hopefully this stops the R12 leak out of the condenser fittings!
                Cash is starting to dry up for cans of R12....:-)

Comment

Seals in today.........now the wait to see if the R12 leaks out over the next two weeks.

Comment

There are also soft alum washers avail to do the same thing. They are common on AN fittings that do not seal properly. I have used before and fixed the problem

Comment

Being an old retired A&E mechanic I have used the soft aluminum coned washers and they are good in an emergency. But in the Air Force if you didn't replace the fitting with a new one they would jump all over your butt with both feet.

Comment

Working...
                      X