Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

15X4.5 vs. 15X5.0 on 1966 - How do I tell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels: 15X4.5 vs. 15X5.0 on 1966 - How do I tell?

Is there a definitive way to tell which size wheel I have without un-mounting and measuring bead to bead? Are there wheel offset dimensions that could be measured for both 4.50 and 5.0 wheels to make a positive identification? I just checked my spare and there is no pn stamped on the wheel.

I've read there are SN# guidelines, but the manual says "66V before C534453" .

Thanks!
    1966 Daytona Sport Sedan - Richelieu Blue

Any tire store will have a wheel rim caliper. They would probably be happy to measure your wheels. They can be measured on the car with this tool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.rim.caliper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1728066

Comment

If you have a V8 Daytona, you should be able to see if the car Serial number on the Driver's Door Post (A Pillar) is above or below C534453.
      I don't know of any "Guidelines", the Car is what it is, unless of course it has been changed over the years or is a Six.

Usually the Wheels are stamped INSIDE, 15X5.5 or 15X6.0
      But if you don't have one apart, I don't know if I would do that as not ALL are ledge-able or marked.

I don't understand why it matters, you can fudge the Tire vs Wheel recommendations by only a 1/2 Inch.

A P205X75R15, or a P215X70R15 should work on either. But of course a 5.0, 5.5, or 6.0 is preferred, if the front springs are not collapsed.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Who knew!! Perfect! Thanks Dwain!!

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
        Any tire store will have a wheel rim caliper. They would probably be happy to measure your wheels. They can be measured on the car with this tool.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81025[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          But of course a 5.0, 5.5, or 6.0 is preferred.
          Thanks StudeRich, this is exactly why I'm interested in knowing.

Comment

Wait, wait! Before you go there is an easy way to measure a steel wheel's width with the tire on the rim. Note that there are 4 slots in the wheel, between the outer "rim" and the inner "hub." Slide a tape measure through one of those slots and hook the end of the tape measure on the outside of the rim (on the other side). Pull the tape measure taut and measure the distance to your side of the rim. In other words, you are measuring (through the slot) the distance between the inner and outer lips of the rim. By lips I mean the part of the rim that is next to the tire.

I just measured two loose rims that I have, one 4.5", the other 5". Using the above method the 4.5" rim measures 6.75", the 5" rim measures 7.25".

Hope this helps.
            -Dwight

Comment

Sure does help, Dwight. Using this method got me the info I needed. As of C533315, final assembly 12/13/1965, factory wheels were 15X4.5.

Thanks Dwight!!

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post

I just measured two loose rims that I have, one 4.5", the other 5". Using the above method the 4.5" rim measures 6.75", the 5" rim measures 7.25".

Hope this helps.
              -Dwight

Comment

Working...
              X