powershift Throttle valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: powershift Throttle valve adjustment

I looked at the procedure in the manual, there has to be a better way.
    install a gauge to a 1/8 npt port, put trans in drive, run engine at 1000rpm and adjust the tv rod so you have a 80 to 85 psi reading. How is one person supposed to accomplish that task?

second, checking fluid level. If i follow the instructions,and add fluid the next time I put it in drive it pukes up fluid out the fill tube.

I should have went with a 700r4!!!
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

The books were written for mechanics that do this every other day.

The gauge you need should have a 5 foot hose on it that you can run through the floor or out through the bottom and monitor while you do the adjustments. A lift also helps and 2 people are better than one..
    While you are under there, be SURE the filler tube is clocked so it is almost level as it makes the bend around the back, and passes through the tabs on the transmission oil pan. It is common for the 2 tabs to be bent, or gone or the tube is bent,,,. In that case look close for the spot weld marks and position the tube so it is close . If the tube is bent bad, have a person hold it at the top while you bend it from the bottom. It should also have a bracket to a head bolt that helps position it. ( If the tube is not in the proper position, you are probably overfilling it )

A 700 is also known to have a pretty tricky adjustment by the way.

Comment

the trans is supposed to hold 9.5 qts, I put in 7 ran it for a while added 1 1/2 more. I don't even get a reading on the stick. and it overflows out the tube, I drove it a couple of miles tried to add ad a qt. same thing. the fill tube seems to be level.

I thought about a gauge and a hose, the throttle rod has to be taken off to adjust. plus you have the hot exhaust right there.
      PM sent about other things

thanks for your help

Originally posted by (S) View Post

The gauge you need should have a 5 foot hose on it that you can run through the floor or out through the bottom and monitor while you do the adjustments. A lift also helps and 2 people are better than one..
      While you are under there, be SURE the filler tube is clocked so it is almost level as it makes the bend around the back, and passes through the tabs on the transmission oil pan. It is common for the 2 tabs to be bent, or gone or the tube is bent,,,. In that case look close for the spot weld marks and position the tube so it is close . If the tube is bent bad, have a person hold it at the top while you bend it from the bottom. It should also have a bracket to a head bolt that helps position it. ( If the tube is not in the proper position, you are probably overfilling it )

Last edited by TXmark; 05-12-2019, 11:05 AM.
      Mark Riesch
      New Bern, NC

Comment

Any possibility that you have the wrong dipstick? The previous owner could have been one of the many thousands of people who think every part is interchangeable.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

are the powershift and the flight o matic the same dipstick, is the throttle valve adjustment procedure the same. I had them bothsitting next to each other I may have switched dipsticks. this is a freshly rebuilt powershift, I went from 4speed to powershift.
          I just finished leveling the filler tube maybe that will give me a correct reading

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          Any possibility that you have the wrong dipstick? The previous owner could have been one of the many thousands of people who think every part is interchangeable.
          Last edited by TXmark; 05-12-2019, 01:32 PM.
          Mark Riesch
          New Bern, NC

Comment

Dipstick length is the same, are you checking the fluid level in drive? follow the instructions starting at the top with the engine warmed up set the top with a 17/64 drill bit. You may need to use some adapters to get the pressure hose in the right position. Lou Cote

Comment

Okay then, I'm going to use a 4' grease gun hose which should handle the pressure easily, (ordered from amazon 1/8npt fittings,same with the 250psi gauge)
              the gauge port location is it near the front close to the bell housing? that is the only one I see.
              I have the car up on jack stands, which makes me nervous as a dog passing peach pits.

thanks for your help
              My pm was just venting my frustrations, sorry

Originally posted by (S) View Post

Last edited by TXmark; 05-13-2019, 09:59 AM.
              Mark Riesch
              New Bern, NC

Comment

If you put the car up on a center lift, you can just drop a tach below, and actuate the shifter from neutral to drive as well as the accelerator from the bottom. Then adjust the rod to the desired pressure at 1000rpm.

The Trouble is finding a center lift.

Comment

location of the gauge port? is it near the front close to the bell housing?

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post

If you put the car up on a center lift, you can just drop a tach below, and actuate the shifter from neutral to drive as well as the accelerator from the bottom. Then adjust the rod to the desired pressure at 1000rpm.

The Trouble is finding a center lift.
                  Mark Riesch
                  New Bern, NC

Comment

Originally posted by TXmark View Post
                    location of the gauge port? is it near the front close to the bell housing?

Picture is from the following link:
                    http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/...u/matmstu.html

Comment

Working...
                    X