Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Options Exist as to Vacuum Advance replacements/repairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: What Options Exist as to Vacuum Advance replacements/repairs?

I would like to replace the vacuum advance on the '56 Power Hawk prior to putting it up for sale. Any ideas??

TIA

Honestly,

Unless you have a new 2019 manufactured vacuum advance you will be buying a NOS 50 year old part for $100, and it will probably last 1 year more under the hood..

OR, Add $100 to that and get this..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352381135403

The person buying the car will see the value in it. (i.e. Never have to adjust points again, and replacement parts readily available.)

Below is a post I had for setting up the distributor.

Click on the ">>" to see the whole post.

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
    This is the CRT version, which seems to work well.

It will come with some tuning parts..

When shipped, they have the black springs and the silver donut installed, so it will be the top curve, 16 deg at 2000 rpm.

On a "JT" build, the JT mechanical advance is limited to 10/11 deg.

I used the gold (light) springs and used the black donut to limit the mechanical advance to 12.5 deg at 1500 RPM.

I also adjusted the internal stop in the vacuum advance for a total of 28 deg of advance, mechanical and vacuum at 3000 RPM and 17" of Hg.
    (12.5 mechanical - 15.5 vacuum)

Comment

Or just plug it and drive on. The diaphragm in my 52's distributor was blown when I got it and I just blocked it and drove the car for quite some time before replacing the whole distributor. If you are selling the car, why put the money in it?
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Dave T-Bow has remanufactured ones. Stephen Allen has NOS units. I would go with a T-Bow reman if he has one for your car.
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
          Or just plug it and drive on. The diaphragm in my 52's distributor was blown when I got it and I just blocked it and drove the car for quite some time before replacing the whole distributor. If you are selling the car, why put the money in it?
          Heh! I've been doing just that for the past ten years... I'm just trying to get the car to original shape since it's a numbers matching survivor.

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
            Dave T-Bow has remanufactured ones. Stephen Allen has NOS units. I would go with a T-Bow reman if he has one for your car.
            I'm currently doing some business with Dave and will run a rebuilt one or may spring for a NOS unit...

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
              Honestly,

Unless you have a new 2019 manufactured vacuum advance you will be buying a NOS 50 year old part for $100, and it will probably last 1 year more under the hood..

OR, Add $100 to that and get this..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352381135403

The person buying the car will see the value in it. (i.e. Never have to adjust points again, and replacement parts readily available.)

Below is a post I had for setting up the distributor.

Click on the ">>" to see the whole post.
              Since the car is an original survivor that option is out. I would rather let the new owner make such a decision but thanks anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                Heh! I've been doing just that for the past ten years... I'm just trying to get the car to original shape since it's a numbers matching survivor.
                No overheating or pinging on the highway? I should think running without the vacuum advance would be problematic. I wonder if you replace it, if the car will feel like it has more horsepower. It should.

That was about as poorly worded a sentence as I have written in a long time.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Performance wise it did not seem to matter on my car. It might effect mileage, but I don't drive many long trips so I haven't compared.
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Since this item is all about the diaphragm, I would not consider an NOS unit to be superior. That NOS diaphragm has been sitting on a shelf drying our for 50 or 60 years.
                    Wayne
                    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Terrell Machine in Deleon, TX can rebuild them. They are reasonable and fairly quick. I've had several fuel pumps rebuilt by them and have been happy with the results

Comment

Just curious, how are these rebuilt? The metal "can" with diaphragm appears to be factory crimped all the way around and would seem to be very difficult to open (un-crimp) without major damage to the unit.
                        Dan Peterson
                        Montpelier, VT
                        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

I was wondering the same thing.
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

With out a spark modifier would not ping or over heat as the centrifugal advance is actuated by then. Many cars had no spark modifier for years and they worked just fine. It just helps at the lower speeds to slowly advance the spark until the centrifugal advance comes in. It helps for ease of starting as you can retard the spark some then when started the spark will advance some. My 259 is on 6 volts and it starts easily with about 2-3 degrees retarded then when started it will advance to TDC or slightly more. With out the modifier I would have to start with 2-3 degrees advance which is considerably more load on the starter. With 12 volts it probably much lesser of an issue. With the setup I have it starts within one revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                              No overheating or pinging on the highway? I should think running without the vacuum advance would be problematic. I wonder if you replace it, if the car will feel like it has more horsepower. It should.

That was about as poorly worded a sentence as I have written in a long time.
                              All I do is block the vacuum line, set the distributor timing to where it idles best and just press on. That way, it never over advances but you do sacrifice some "demand" performance at speed...

Comment

Working...
                              X