1965 chevy 6cyl clutch & linkage problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: 1965 chevy 6cyl clutch & linkage problem

I host the Wagonaire Registry and one of our folks is trying to install a new clutch plate & disk in his 1965 Wagonaire with the 6 cyl engine, standard engine not the upgrade, standard transmission, no over drive. He is pulling his hair out after trying 4 times to get the clutch to release after reinstalling it. Apparently he is not real big computer user so he asked me to see if I could find some help. I looked to see if we had any other '65 or '66 owners with 6 cyl, standards on the registry to see if they might be able to help. His is the only one listed. I have searched the Forum and failed to find any help.

He has also called a couple of Studebaker mechanics but none of them have had any experience with this particular combination of chevy engine and Studebaker transmission and could offer no advice that turned out to help.

This is a low mileage car that was in a museum for awhile. He describes his problem as being unable to get the car in gear after the new clutch is installed. He has a new clutch disk & pressure plate (I don't know where he purchased it but I'm thinking probably SI from other issues he has had and made purchases) and has had them examined by transmission mechanics as well as having them go through the transmission to be sure it is okay.

He has adjusted the clutch linkage under the floorboard in every possible configuration according to him with no luck. When he gets in the car and tires to put it in gear he can not do it. All he gets is the familiar grinding sound we have all experienced.

He is now thinking there must be some kind of adjustment of the clutch linkage under the dash that might allow him to get the clutch to release. I'm not that much of a mechanic that I can help him with that and don't have a standard to look at.

Can any of you experts out there help him? It is my understanding that the bell housing, flywheel, & clutch assembly is all Studebaker and only the engine is chevy. Would that be correct? Could there be a problem with the wrong parts? i.e. Studebaker clutch assembly when he needs a chevy or vise versa?

Thanks to all of you for your help.
    Nick

I believe there was an adapter plate developed by checker motors engineers to allow the Borg Warner gearbox to connect with the Chevrolet engine which they shared with studebaker but that should be there, perhaps a private message to Bob Palma would help you?
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Probably not the same issue... Is it possible the clutch is in backwards? I helped out on a clutch replacement on a tractor, the owner installed the clutch backwards. Everything went back together and the clutch would just not disengage. We pulled the clutch and the hub was slightly thicker on the one side keeping it pushed up against the flywheel.

Comment

Garthok should be hard to install wrong if you put the spring hub towards the trans.

Comment

Mike and I have tried to help him on the Phone, and the Disc. is correctly installed.

He has had the whole thing apart 3 or 4 TIMES, 2 New Discs and Pressure Plates, tried most logical fixes, now it will take "Out of the Box" idea's, I guess! Like maybe some of it's parts are not original?

The Clutch housing, Release Lever and all is GM Type.
          The Clutch Housing mates the B/W to the GM Engine, but this Man has tried a NEW Chev. Release Arm/Lever that must have been for the wrong Model, I think he tried a Chevy II/Nova and it is different than his Stude. one.

The under the dash adjustment Rod does have some effect on how much release you get, but also about adjusting the "over center action" to allow the Strong Pull Back Spring to work.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 05-08-2019, 11:27 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Another possible problem: someone made a mistake with the pilot bushing, and the transmission input shaft is binding in the pilot bushing? Or maybe a Chevy pilot bushing was used, and it's too loose for the Stude T96 input shaft, and the clutch disc is running eccentrically, because of that?I actually had a '65 Wagonaire with six cylinder standard, back in the day.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

tell him to make life easy and just install a 200r4

Comment

Darn it Rich, I forgot that he had purchased a gas tank from Mike so of course you have already tried to figure this one out. I was thinking you might have the magic answer.
                Maybe someone else can give us a new idea.
                Thanks!
                Nick

Comment

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
                  Darn it Rich, I forgot that he had purchased a gas tank from Mike so of course you have already tried to figure this one out. I was thinking you might have the magic answer.
                  Maybe someone else can give us a new idea.
                  Thanks!Nick
                  Hi Nick! Hey I am seriously thinking that Gord may have NAILED IT! I can see a Clutch Shop supplying a Tiny Chev. Pilot bushing for this application, but the Stude. one COULD be Larger!

Do you contact him on Facebook or somewhere to tell him, I don't think he is here and I won't Call him at Night.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich probably already mentioned this service letter about proper orientation of the disc. Also, if this car still has the 'stepped' flywheel, the correct pressure plate for that application has been NLA for years. The pressure plate being sold now usually works, but doesn't hook up real well and begins slipping badly within a couple thousand miles. The Chevy guys replace the flywheel with a conventional design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	65.clutch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1727971
                    Another thing about wearing a mask......I don't have to shave before I leave the house!

Comment

1. Is the flywheel “stepped”? If so, it is critical to have the correct pressure plate.
                      2. “The Clutch housing, Release Lever and all is GM Type.
                      The Clutch Housing mates the B/W to the GM Engine,” There are two lengths of release bearings available for the old Chevy set up. If he is using the shorter one where the longer one would be, that would be a big problem. Not likely there would be enough adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
                        I host the Wagonaire Registry and one of our folks is trying to install a new clutch plate & disk in his 1965 Wagonaire with the 6 cyl engine, standard engine not the upgrade, standard transmission, no over drive. He is pulling his hair out after trying 4 times to get the clutch to release after reinstalling it. Apparently he is not real big computer user so he asked me to see if I could find some help. I looked to see if we had any other '65 or '66 owners with 6 cyl, standards on the registry to see if they might be able to help. His is the only one listed. I have searched the Forum and failed to find any help.

He has also called a couple of Studebaker mechanics but none of them have had any experience with this particular combination of chevy engine and Studebaker transmission and could offer no advice that turned out to help.

This is a low mileage car that was in a museum for awhile. He describes his problem as being unable to get the car in gear after the new clutch is installed. He has a new clutch disk & pressure plate (I don't know where he purchased it but I'm thinking probably SI from other issues he has had and made purchases) and has had them examined by transmission mechanics as well as having them go through the transmission to be sure it is okay.

He has adjusted the clutch linkage under the floorboard in every possible configuration according to him with no luck. When he gets in the car and tires to put it in gear he can not do it. All he gets is the familiar grinding sound we have all experienced.

He is now thinking there must be some kind of adjustment of the clutch linkage under the dash that might allow him to get the clutch to release. I'm not that much of a mechanic that I can help him with that and don't have a standard to look at.

Can any of you experts out there help him? It is my understanding that the bell housing, flywheel, & clutch assembly is all Studebaker and only the engine is chevy. Would that be correct? Could there be a problem with the wrong parts? i.e. Studebaker clutch assembly when he needs a chevy or vise versa?

Thanks to all of you for your help.
                        Nick
                        I just talked to the owner on the phone. I gave him suggestions on what to check. They include looking at all the linkage for cracks, proper adjustment per the shop manual, disc runout, pilot bushing runout and ID size, and last but not least is diaphragm function. Let us know what he finds.
                        james r pepper

Comment

Had an older 6 cyl Chev. Diaphram clutch that would no disengage most of time, fine once in awhile. Found a piece of old disc in the pressure plate release fingers, every once in awhile would drop out far enough to allow things to work right. The piece was the spring holder in disc. Car had been worked on so guy sold it cheap in unusable condition.

Comment

Lots of good suggestions and I have passed them all along to him. I'll let you know if the mystery is solved. Any new ideas are welcome!
                            Thanks to all!
                            Nick

Comment

Working...
                            X