Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tzenewiczsr
    replied
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate the good info. and I think y'all got me on the right path.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Of course, if you match your revs properly, downshifting does not "wear" the clutch. It only wears when it slips. Admittedly, the throwout bearing might get a little more time on it.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Originally posted by jackb View Post
    Old timers with loads of miles under their feet never downshifted with a standard tranny, especially so with OD. Save the clutch and use the brakes. If you need to pass, kickdown in 3rd/OD....related by an old truck driver.....
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    Reminds me of my father saying that brakes are cheaper than clutches or transmissions.
    Exactly! Brake shoes are far easier to replace too.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by jackb View Post
    Old timers with loads of miles under their feet never downshifted with a standard tranny, especially so with OD. Save the clutch and use the brakes. If you need to pass, kickdown in 3rd/OD....related by an old truck driver.....
    Reminds me of my father saying that brakes are cheaper than clutches or transmissions.

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    It should not "Freewheel" until your speed drops below about 25-30 MPH when in O.D.

But, you should feel some deceleration above that speed even in 3rd. but of course it is very slight in Overdrive 3rd. much more noticeable in 2nd.

When you REALLY need to decelerate like just before reaching the top of a steep hill, you floor the accelerator to go into Direct, pull the O.D. Handle out then release the Pedal and it will decelerate normally in Direct drive.
    This is usually done in High gear but will also work in 2nd. if your speed is lower.

The Overdrive only works as it should if a Kickdown switch and Cable Control are installed as a Factory setup. Some Cars that have been converted only partially, from a Standard 3 speed may not have either.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-07-2019, 12:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SScopelli
    replied
    Originally posted by tzenewiczsr View Post
    I have a 1961 Hawk with a 3 speed trans. with overdrive. When I downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear it doesn't slow the car down at all. When shifting up through the gears everything works fine and the clutch works as it should. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I am out of ideas. Thanks in advance.
    I believe that OD transmission was meant for economy. As such it was designed to "freewheels" and not bog the car down when you decelerate.

From this web site => https://www.fordification.com/tech/overdrive.htm

"When the OD cable IS pushed in, the first operating feature of the B-W OD transmission becomes apparent it “freewheels”. This means that while the engine can drive the wheels, when the vehicle coasts, no power is fed back to the engine. No engine braking, just coasting."

From this website => https://fifthaveinternetgarage.blogs...verdrives.html

"While you are in overdrive if you back off the gas you will feel engine braking in both second and third gear. Because the transmission is still in overdrive, the engine braking is not as strong as if the transmission were in 2nd or 3rd direct drive but the transmission does not coast. If the transmission does coast, the overdrive transmission is not operating properly."

http://www.studebakerclubs.com/North.../Overdrive.pdf
    Last edited by SScopelli; 05-07-2019, 07:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tzenewiczsr
    started a topic Transmission / Overdrive: Downshifting problems

Downshifting problems

I have a 1961 Hawk with a 3 speed trans. with overdrive. When I downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear it doesn't slow the car down at all. When shifting up through the gears everything works fine and the clutch works as it should. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I am out of ideas. Thanks in advance.
Working...
X