rear brakes 63 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: rear brakes 63 hawk

I've been reading the post about the guy from shertz TX with the rear brake problem.
    are not all 63 hawk drums finned?
    mine are 10" I've owned the car for about 8 years and have drove it a lot, and some long distances too.
    my drums are loose from the swedge they were when I bought the car. they still have the original drums and studs,the drums fit tight on the swedged studs.
    would not the countersink on the back of the wheel fit over the taper from the swedged stude hold the drum tight.
    I hope so. the car has had custom wheels on it since I've owned it.
    what happens when a tire shop strips a stud, (like that never happens)
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

Mark, see the answer to your post on CampbellHawk's String, Post #20.

Your "Swedges" are not correct if they do not go over the Drum to hold it to the hub.
    Usually after they have been broken to replace the Drum, they will not be tight on the Drum without being swedged.
    Yes you have replacement "259" rear Drums.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Drove from MN to AL for a visit back in the 80's. Had tires rot and bal before trip. Shop didn't balance wheels at all well so took it to a guy my father-in-law knew in Gadsden, AL. MN shop had over torqued all the lug bolts and half were broken off! Took all the studs the guy had on hand to replace all the broken ones and he balanced the wheels properly. I found a new shop; screw ups like that can kill people. Never seen a lose bolt; are you 100% sure the are the right ones for the car?

Comment

I'm not sure what your question is, what do you mean right ones? they are studebaker drums and the studs are the swedged type.

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
        Drove from MN to AL for a visit back in the 80's. Had tires rot and bal before trip. Shop didn't balance wheels at all well so took it to a guy my father-in-law knew in Gadsden, AL. MN shop had over torqued all the lug bolts and half were broken off! Took all the studs the guy had on hand to replace all the broken ones and he balanced the wheels properly. I found a new shop; screw ups like that can kill people. Never seen a lose bolt; are you 100% sure the are the right ones for the car?
        Mark Riesch
        New Bern, NC

Comment

The fact that the drums are not swaged on is of no consequense, as long as the correct lug studs are used. Most drums are not swaged to the hub, but they are hubcentric; meaning they are held concentric to the axle by the hub, not the studs. In Studebakers case the drums are lugcentric, as the hub is too small to center the drum. The Studebaker lug studs are also given the task of centering the drum, so they need to be correct for Studebaker to center the drum correctly. When the wheel is properly tightenen down it will secure the drum as well.

I believe Jeffery's question refers to the lug nuts being correct for the wheels. Ford wheels require Ford lug nuts, they are a different size than Studebaker or Chrysler nuts and fit the wheels differently. Even with the correct nuts, if the wheel mounting holes are damaged the nut can bottom against the brake drum or stud sholder and not properly secure the wheel. If the wheels are even slightly loose, they will wear their mounting holes and make the issue much worse.

Comment

Working...
          X