No announcement yet.

1954 brakes - fluid check and master cylinder access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's where the master cylinder cover is on my car with no carpet. I riveted a plate over the hole when I changed to a swing pedal and moved the master cylinder to the firewall. Both our '53 and '62 had it in exactly the same place.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0946.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1727930

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01526.JPG
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	1727932Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01527.JPG
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1727933These are the two access holes in the floor of my 54 Champion sedan the brake cylinder cover is held in place with two sheet metal screws and the dip stick access for an automatic is on the hump and barley visible.

Comment

If the pedal goes to the floor you much better check if it's wet from leaking by any of the wheels or the master cylinder, not much use at all to fill up if there's a leak.
        sigpic

Josephine
        Champion V8
        4d sedan

Comment

Right, the fluid had to have gone somewhere. That must be found and corrected first. In all likelihood the entire brake system probably needs gone through.

Comment

The first step was finding out HOW one can add more fluid. He was under the impression there was no access cover at all. Finding the leak should not be too difficult once it's in a shop or jacked up. I'm not sure if he has a floor jack. Probably, but he's going to have to use it on dirt. It's just a matter of uncovering where it is. Thanks.
            Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
            Right, the fluid had to have gone somewhere. That must be found and corrected first. In all likelihood the entire brake system probably needs gone through.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Working...
            X