Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1966 Daytona Rear Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 1966 Daytona Rear Brakes

So, I'm taking delivery of a 1966 Daytona on Monday. There is extensive documentation coming with the car from the 2nd owner who maintained it well. It's unmodified with 74,000 documented miles from new. After I sift through the repair receipts, one of my 1st tasks is to get the brake system checked. I will want to check front and rear brake drums, shoes cylinders and lines.

My question is, how different is the procedure for pulling the rear drums from the earlier procedure that needs the special puller? Reading info on this, there is reference to "later models" being different. If it makes a difference, this Daytona has a factory Dana 44. Thanks!
    Last edited by allen04084; 05-04-2019, 08:55 AM.
    1966 Daytona Sport Sedan - Richelieu Blue

The Brakes inside the drums are very much the same as early 1965 back to 1954, but Late '65 to '66 Studebakers just use a "Flanged Axle", that means it is like most modern Cars, just remove the Lug Nuts and wheels and there may be a few tin clips holding the Drums on or not, remove those and the Drums basically far off.

The first thing you will need to know is: was this car ordered with Power Front Disc Brakes?
    The Rear Drum Brakes will be completely DIFFERENT inside the Drum, if it was.

From your "Dana Model 44" statement, we now know it "should be" a 283 V8 Daytona Sports Sedan, unless it's a Wagonaire.

UPDATE:
    OPPS, I guess on a '66, it couldn't be a "Daytona", there were only "Wagonaire's" basically without Trim Names for the very FIRST time!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-04-2019, 11:41 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      The Brakes inside the drums are very much the same as early 1965 back to 1954, but Late '65 to '66 Studebakers just use a "Flanged Axle", that means it is like most modern Cars, just remove the Lug Nuts and wheels and there may be a few tin clips holding the Drums on or not, remove those and the Drums basically far off.

The first thing you will need to know is: was this car ordered with Power Front Disc Brakes?
      The Rear Drum Brakes will be completely DIFFERENT inside the Drum, if it was.

From your "Dana Model 44" statement, we now know it "should be" a 283 V8 Daytona Sports Sedan, unless it's a Wagonaire.
      Thanks StudeRich, yes, a Sport Sedan, 283, with manual drum brakes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProductionOrderDaytona.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1727902
      Last edited by allen04084; 05-04-2019, 09:55 AM.

Comment

They're a lovely car, I have happy memories of mine.

Enjoy your new ride.
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
          They're a lovely car, I have happy memories of mine.

Enjoy your new ride.
          Thanks John, I most certainly will. We will be picking it up a day early, in about 3 hours from now.

In 1969, I took my drivers test in a 1966 283 Cruiser. Dad bought it for Mom to drive, but I ended up driving it most of the time after that, until I got my own car - a 1964 Belair 230 auto. What a LET DOWN that Belair was, after the Cruiser!!!

Comment

Working...
          X