Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do we know about rear bumpers on 2R and E-series trucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: What do we know about rear bumpers on 2R and E-series trucks?

I have a rear bumper (with brackets ) that likely came off a '50 pick-up. It measures about 69 inches long on the back, and 5 1/2" high across the back. The holes for the brackets are 32" and 48" apart.

I just went and looked at another assumed Stude bumper. It measures 71 inches and 7 1/2" high. The holes are one above the other and are spaced about 26" apart.

Was there one bumper for 1/2 tons and different ones for larger trucks?

Let's have some measurements of your bumpers and see what we find.
    Thanks.
    p.s.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

The bigger Stude trucks got larger FRONT bumpers, but the same (optional) rear bumper was available for all pickups with the P1 box from 1949 to 1964. They are about 69" wide and 5.5" high. The parts book lists and illustrates the bumpers available, but not their measurements.
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 05-04-2019, 06:12 AM.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Looking at pictures online, I'm thinking the second bumper is a front bumper for a (57-up) Transtar.
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Skip, wouldn't the '55 to '62 P1 Box get a wider Bumper for the wider 51" Box than the '49 to '54, 49" Box?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The 49- 55? Were curved front bumpers. The later ones were straight. My old 49 had a curved one on the rear, but not sure if it was the right one.

For sure, the front bumpers on larger trucks were also larger.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Skip, wouldn't the '55 to '62 P1 Box get a wider Bumper for the wider 51" Box than the '49 to '54, 49" Box?
            Rich - You and I would probably have put a wider bumper on the wider box, but the answer to your question is no. The same 678000x rear bumper is listed all the way through 1964. Chrome front and rear bumpers were available through 1959.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
              Looking at pictures online, I'm thinking the second bumper is a front bumper for a (57-up) Transtar.
              Good thinking. I just went out and measured the front bumper on my big truck and you are correct.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

On my 1/2 ton Scotsman I sectioned a stock front bumper to make the same width as the bed and welded it together. Then I finished as the front (white and red) and put on my white-trimmed, red truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                  On my 1/2 ton Scotsman I sectioned a stock front bumper to make the same width as the bed and welded it together. Then I finished as the front (white and red) and put on my white-trimmed, red truck.
                  The first generation Ford Bronco bumper is a perfect fit for a '56-64 Stude rear bumper. For my '55, I sectioned it to match the narrower bed; tucked it in higher and tighter.

They're available new, painted or chromed for about $100.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

The Bronco bumper looks good, and also looks as period correct as any other bumper from the times. Most of the old trucks that I grew up around (ranching community) were homemade, and usually over engineered, to take abuse.

Comment

Working...
                    X