Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Bendix system

Hi all
    Working on a 58 golden hawk with a Bendix system... Unfortunately I did not take it apart so going back together is a bit of a challenge. I did put a seal kit in it and all parts seem to be correct per the parts manual. I assembled as per the manual backed the nut off 1/6 turn etc. Read the forum...
    When I start the car it immediately turns to the right...
    I cannot even guarantee the hoses are in the correct position as the manual pic is hard to decipher. Any ideas on what's going on and how do I trouble shoot this issue...

At first take, assuming that the parts are installed correctly (order and direction), you probably have the lines hooked up incorrectly.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Possibly the Left Turn Hose is in the Right Turn Hose Location.
      Usually if you lift the Car, it will go left to Right uncontrollably.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich are you sure they will do that if set right? A Corvette which has the same type system that is how you adjust it is raise the front remove the little cap on the end of the valve and carefully turn the nut in or out until the wheels stay centered. Then the sec.the valve see's any movement one way or the other it kicks in and helps turn the wheels.

Comment

No AFAIK, they only do that when the Hoses are reversed.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

When I installed my system I hooked the hoses up backwards and when you move the wheel the steering would go lock to lock bang bang. had to turn the engine off to stop the car was on jack stands.
            Hawkowner

Comment

I have read that the hoses switched would do that but I question that. If the spool is in center position it would seem there would be no pressure to either hose. It does go from right to left uncontrollably. Like the valve is not centered... Is there a pic or diagram of hose position? I would not be a bit surprised if I had them connected wrong...
              Backing off the nut makes sense as it may allow the spool to center. What are your opinions.thanks

Comment

Swapped the hoses at the ram. Works like a dream can't explain it but thanks for the help!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X