No announcement yet.

Rear brake shoes 63 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Studerich, I posted a picture of the outside of the drum at 5:45 yesterday, it’s the pic of the green drum and the brake shoes above. If it’s the dodge hub can I go ahead and buy a stude 11 hub and use plug and play or will the be an issue? Also, is this setup convertible to the turner rear brakes and if so would I see an improvement in braking? Thank you again.
    Last edited by CampbelHawk; 05-05-2019, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Well, you see, the car has been modified. The original rear drums were swaged to the studs in the hub, and the entire hum and drum had to be removed as an assembly, using a heavy-duty puller that bolts to the wheel lugs, NOT the kind with jaws that grab on the rim of the drum. And, ideally, one would remove the axles, repack the rear wheel bearings, and adjust axle shaft end play when doing the rear brake service. The rear wheel bearings in these cars do not get lubed by the differential oil. They are tapered roller bearings, and are packed with grease. And end-play is taken up by one axle inner end bearing against the other axle's inner end by way of the differential cross shaft (on open differentials) or by way of small thrust blocks (on Twin traction differentials). The actual end play is controlled by shims placed between the right rear bearing retainer and the backing plate.Anyway, since your car has been modified, you can choose to do the bearing service, or ignore it. The need for it has not gone away. Now Studebaker did offer a flanged rear axle for some '65 or '66 models (not GT Hawks, which were not made in those years), and there might be flanged-axle type 11" drums out there in the parts network. If their depth is right to be used on your hubs, I don't know.As Rich has said, you probably have Brand X drums on the back. I recently worked on an Avanti that had the same thing done to it; it's not that uncommon to find. I don't know which brand X drums were used, unfortunately. I would like to find out.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

they look nothing like the rear brakes on my 63, I just did a brake job on it yesterday. the shoes, the drums are totally different
        mine are 10 inch, but I believe the 10 inch and 11inch drums are finned. I would contact the previous owner, to find out what you have
        Originally posted by CampbelHawk View Post
        Took a couple pictures of the brakes--they look like the 11s to me--I may go ahead an get new drums as well. Before I order can one of you stude pros confirm this is the 11 inch drum?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80712[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80713[/ATTACH]
        Last edited by TXmark; 05-05-2019, 05:22 PM.
        Mark Riesch
        New Bern, NC

Comment

The Cooling Fins are on the outer, Outside (side view) of the Drums.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AvantiRearDrum.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1727929 I do not think you have a Dodge Hub, it is the Drum that is aftermarket and probably designed to Center on the center hole, not the Studs as Studebaker's were. If it runs True, it may be fine as it was modified to be.

What matters is the Diameter should not be (a Lot) over .060 over 11 Inches after being Turned/Machined per Studebaker.

"This Setup" ALL of it, will no longer be of any concern if you install a Complete Turner Brake Rear Disc. Setup as it will be discarded and if good could be resold.

I am not a believer in doing a Major expensive Mod like that for IMHO little gain, at least not to the REAR Brakes, as I believe it is not needed, but they would not be made or sell if "some people" did not think otherwise.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 05-05-2019, 07:58 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by TXmark View Post
            they look nothing like the rear brakes on my 63, I just did a brake job on it yesterday. the shoes, the drums are totally different
            mine are 10 inch, but I believe the 10 inch and 11inch drums are finned. I would contact the previous owner, to find out what you have
            Mark, your Hawk must have DRUM Brakes!
            The OP's Hawk has Front Disc. Brakes with the non-self energizing Truck Brake type setup with 11 Inch Finned Drums in the Rear.

The 259 V8 cars had 10 Inch smooth Rear Drums, and the 289 Powered V8's got the 10 Inch FINNED Drums.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 05-05-2019, 07:57 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The disc brake shoes had an extra little hole that the truck brakes did not have. I think the brake shoe companies at some point had the hole added in all shoes for both trucks and disc brakes as they did not want to carry different parts for the same basic core. I add this just so you make sure you have the extra hole for disc brake apps
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
              X