Rear brake shoes 63 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Rear brake shoes 63 Hawk

Have the car in the shop and it needs new shoes in the back—does anyone know if there are shoes available that are plug and play or do I need to order a Studebaker part (looks like 1560103x1)? Thanks in advance

Ten inch shoes for drum brake car, or eleven inch for disc brake car? If the former, that is a common number in the Brand X parts system. If the latter, they are obsolete there, and you must either have your existing cores relined, or go to a Studebaker parts supplier. My suggestion? Do the latter anyway, regardless of which shoe it is. You will get the right part, and you will be doing your bit to keep the parts business viable.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thank you—rest assured I have been doing my part for the Studebaker parts companies lol.
      So it was a disc brake car from the factory, so it will be the obsolete 11s? I will see if they can measure them to be sure.
      Last edited by CampbelHawk; 05-01-2019, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Those are NEW 11 Inch Drum brake FRONT Shoes!

If you need REAR 10 Inch re-lined Shoes for a Car with Front Drum Brakes it is: 1560104 and a re-linable core set must be returned or $100.00 charge at some vendors.

http://studebakervendors.com

UPDATE: OK if you have Disc. Brakes up front ignore this, I was typing while you were, and guessed since you were looking at Drum Brake Shoes, that is what you had.

Now you need 1557672

Last edited by StudeRich; 05-01-2019, 09:45 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Disc brake rear shoes are available new from Centric. Part number 111.01730. These are the 11” X 2” shoes that are also used front and rear on late ‘55 thru ‘62 1/2 ton pickups.

Comment

I need rear brake shoes for drums. My car has factory front discs if it makes a difference. Hoping to buy locally now because it’s in shop. Looking for alternative, readily available shoes. I have bought and will buy lots and lots of parts from Studebaker sites.

Comment

You have to understand that when we Studebaker owners talk about Rear Shoes for Front Disc Brake Systems on ORIGINAL CARS, we know they ARE Drum type, but a very "special type".

The Stude. Part Number is in post #4, and an aftermarket alternative is in Post #5.

When sending a Studebaker to a non-Studebaker Shop, it is ALWAYS best to buy the Parts FIRST, or make sure they are prepared to "Store" the car until Parts arrive.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 05-01-2019, 10:03 AM.
              StudeRich

Comment

Check with NAPA.

Comment

Took a couple pictures of the brakes--they look like the 11s to me--I may go ahead an get new drums as well. Before I order can one of you stude pros confirm this is the 11 inch drum?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2134.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1727903Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2137.jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1727904

Comment

Says right on it: "max dia 11.090".And those drums are supposed to be swaged onto the wheel studs. It looks like someone has converted the rear brakes to the loose drum style, since I don't see any evidence of damage around the stud holes like I would expect if the drums had been forced off using the wrong type of puller. Have your shop measure the I.D. of the drums. If they will clean up to less than 0.090" oversize after machining, they are fine to reuse.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

If you need rear brake shoes for a front disc brake equipped Studebaker send me a PM...I have a set to sell. Since I recently sold my '70 Avanti I have a lot of spare parts I plan on selling...mostly Avanti specific but the rear shoes are for and disc brake Stude.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2141.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1727905The shop had to turn these drum three times to get them true and recommends new ones. Can I buy the "1557400,REAR 11" BRAKE DRUM WITH HUB
                        1557400 REAR 11" BRAKE DRUM WITH HUB FOR 1963-1966 V-8 CARS WITH FRONT DISC BRAKES, 1963-1964 AVANTI",
                        Or did the "conversion to the loose" drum style make that an issue? Thank you all.
                        Last edited by CampbelHawk; 05-04-2019, 06:40 PM.

Comment

That drum looks okay to me as long as they did not exceed the 11.090" limit.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If the shop turned the drum using tapered adapters in the center hole the drum will have been turned out of round and you will experience a vibration upon braking. . The drum on the rear is centered using the lug studs not the center hole.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                            57 SH (project)
                            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I can't the outside of that Drum, but if it is smooth, it is a Dodge 1/2 Ton Truck conversion, if they are Finned they are Stude. Drums with the Hub removed.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 05-04-2019, 10:55 PM.
                              StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                              X