starter gear teeth 289 auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: starter gear teeth 289 auto

how many gear teeth on a starter drive with a 289 auto?
    prestolite 63 hawk powershift trans
    Last edited by TXmark; 04-28-2019, 01:06 PM.
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

This is a very generic question. Delco? Prestolite? Year? Stude used a 160 tooth flywheel with a smaller starter drive gear on the starter than GM or Chrysler.

Comment

It usually takes a Torque Converter Rebuilder to replace the welded-on Ring Gear on the Converter during a Converter Rebuild, IF they can find the gear, available only at Studebaker Vendors.
      It is Studebaker Part Number: 1539744.

http://studebakervendors.com

UPDATE: OK, a DRIVE.
      Then it would be the Prestolite Bendix Drive, if it has the original Prestolite Starter.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 04-28-2019, 04:47 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        It usually takes a Torque Converter Rebuilder to replace the welded-on Ring Gear on the Converter during a Converter Rebuild, IF they can find the gear, available only at Studebaker Vendors.
        It is Studebaker Part Number: 1539744.

http://studebakervendors.com
        I believe that he is asking about the teeth on the starter drive, not the teeth on the ring gear.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Nine teeth on bendix

Comment

Nine teeth, but GM and Chrysler are 1.150" and Stude is 1.000" + or- .010" The GM style gear usually put on by rebuild shops will hit on the flywheel and not engage.

Comment

One simple question... Are GM and/or Prestolite starters interchangeable? Example, will an earlier GM long snout off of a '59 Lark work on a '63 Lark automatic?

Comment

Grump, It should if it is off an automatic. There is a thread around here that has pics. of the 4 different starter noses.

Comment

It should. I had a Delco stick starter from a '59/'60 Lark in my '64 stick Daytona. Make sure it has the same snout on it as the other Prestolite. On Prestolites the starter guts are the same -it's the snout where it goes into the bell that differs. You can change the snout and the engine won't know the difference. the 7025 is for a stick, the 7026 is for an auto-only difference is the snout. Should I bring a 7026 to South Bend?
                  Rob in PA

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
                    It should. I had a Delco stick starter from a '59/'60 Lark in my '64 stick Daytona. Make sure it has the same snout on it as the other Prestolite. On Prestolites the starter guts are the same -it's the snout where it goes into the bell that differs. You can change the snout and the engine won't know the difference. the 7025 is for a stick, the 7026 is for an auto-only difference is the snout. Should I bring a 7026 to South Bend?
                    Rob in PA
                    The donor starter is out of a '59 Lark automatic and the intended "victim" is the rusty '63 Cruiser automatic. I just want a spare to carry on the victim's final trip to Austin where the low mileage engine will end up in the '55 Prez project...

Comment

Working...
                    X