Bendix power steering quit working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Bendix power steering quit working

My Bendix PS on my 64 GT stopped working after the pump was squealing. The fluid was black and squirting out the reservoir all over the engine. I replaced the pump with a new one. I can see the fluid returning back to the pump with the engine running. But I still have no power assist. Could the control valve be damaged? There are no visible leaks. Thanks for any assistance.
    Last edited by jostanton1; 05-01-2019, 01:57 PM.

Have you tried turning the steering wheel lock to lock a number of times to bleed the system (Much easier with the front wheels off the ground until you get the air out of the system)?
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

I did, but maybe not enough times. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. The last time I had the system open (installed new hoses) it only took a couple turns until it bleed. I did it about the same amount of time, and still no assist. I lost the assist when the pump crapped out and with the black fluid, I am afraid something may have contaminated or plugged something in the control valve.

Comment

Sounds Like the spool valve is stuck in the control valve housing. Check to make sure the sleeve has not stuck and the ball stud moves in the housing when the steering wheel is turned.
        Hawkowner.

Comment

My fluid was really dark, so I flushed it out with new fluid. On jacks the steering turns effortlessly. On the ground, sometimes it is smooth with good power assist, but sometimes on turns it get hard and "sticky". Do you think there is crud causing the spool to stick?

Comment

I forgot to mention the pressure hose on the control valve is not tight. I have not found a wrench that can enough twist to tighten it up good. Has anyone found a trick to get that thing tight while it is in the car? I don't know if I will get anymore clearance if I pull the pitman arm off.

Comment

It sounds like you still have some trash floating around in the system. I would flush it out with new fluid a second time, and see if it helps. You might try a tubing wrench, or a crows foot tubing wrench, used in tight spots, to get the hose tight.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                You might try a tubing wrench, or a crows foot tubing wrench, used in tight spots, to get the hose tight.
                Not a chance, there is not enough clearance in the casting for anything like that to fit and turn. I drilled a hole in a piece of flat bar, welded a socket into the hole and cut a slot through it to fit the tube through. I now had a thin wall tubing wrench that would fit into the casting without the handle in the way or being too bulky to turn. Luckily, it broke on the last fitting not the first.

Snap On has a "deep flare nut crowfoot wrench" that might work. It's a lot like what I made, but without a handle, but they are over $40 each.
                Last edited by bensherb; 05-07-2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X