Hood latch woes. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Hood latch woes. HELP!

When I bought my '50 Commander, the hood was only set down with the safety catch engaged. Then, a neighbor just had to look at the engine, and then he let the hood dropp hard enough to completely latch. Not normally a big deal, except this car's latch release cable had broken!
    So, the question is, is there some way to reach that lever that the cable connects to?

Yes, don't cut any holes. I am not familiar with the exact technique for that model, but they can be released. Someone will post your answer.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

You should be able to remove one of the grilles and trip the latch from underneath.

Comment

The safety latch lever is very visible through the bullet nose, but the main latch is on top of the upper radiator wind deflector. That deflector sure fits close to the underside of the hood and gives no access to its topside.
        Gonna have to get creative here, without cutting anything.

Comment

There was a running discussion about this with details some time ago. Try a Google search on the topic and mention Studebaker. Sometimes that works better than the search on here.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Don’t use a screw driver I’ve over the top of the chrome bullet. The bullet ring will easily cut or sheer. Don’t ask how I know. Ruined a good bullet nose outer ring. There is a hole or slot in the opener under the hood that lows you to move the lever to open the hood easily. I will try and get a picture.

Mark

Comment

Mark, thanks! I have been studying the chassis parts manual and the repair manual for any illustrations that might give me a clue. The best I have found are a few close up pics of the whole latch section from above with the hood open. It almost looks as though the actual lever that the cable hooks to can be accessed from below as Matt said, but I looked closely with a flashlight and inspection mirrors and even the bottom is covered up.
              The lip of the latching lever that captures the hood pin appears that it can be moved from below through the big hole that the hood pin drops through, and I did see the corner of that lip, so tomorrow I will be trying to push it aside.
              Mark, hold up on going to much trouble for pics for a couple of days until I give this a good try. I just thought maybe there was an easy access that somebody knew of.
              You can bet I will be figuring out a work-around for this issue once I get this hood open.

Comment

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...h-control.html
                AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Thanks, Dwain! Per 52-fan's suggestion I did a google search and found that same article you just linked, but not being very familiar with Studes yet, wasn't sure if the '51 would relate well with the '50. However, during my brief flashlight/inspection mirror exam yesterday I do remember seeing a small hole partially blocked by something above it, so I'm thinking that might be the release lever this article refers to.
                  I do appreciate the help and it reassures me that I may get it opened tomorrow.

Comment

Followup: Dwain's link to the article was right on the mark! Using a 1/2" flat screwdriver and reaching up through the opening just above and in front of the left grill, I was able to move the latching lever to the left through that hole just behind the hood pin, just as the article said. POP! The hood released. VERY simple and easy.
                    Will try to get a pic of the scene from under the wind deflector looking up.

Comment

I refer often to http://www.studebakerparts.com/ for tech info.

And this BIG one too http://www.studebaker-info.org/
                      AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Here are pics of the latch from above, showing the latch and the hole below it, and the hole from underneath, looking up. Hah, that article says it's just a ten minute process! More like a ten second process once you've done it. And, no need to remove the grill, unless your arms are only 10" long!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_133456.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1727801

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_133728.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	1727802

Comment

Originally posted by Trikebldr View Post
                          Then, a neighbor just had to look at the engine, and then he let the hood dropp hard enough to completely latch. Not normally a big deal, except this car's latch release cable had broken!
                          Don't you just love it when neighbors "help" you with your new car? Glad it was a easy fix. Even more glad that you asked about the fix, in order to do it with the least amount of collateral damage.

50 Commanders are great cars and great drivers.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I agree with Roy. I have the same car and had the same problem back in the early 80's. It was easy to reach up with a screwdriver through the hole to pop it open. If you like the 50 Commander, you'll like the 50 Land Cruiser even more. They sure are nice riding cars.

Comment

Working...
                            X