Clear All

• altair
    replied
    It took me about three tries.

Leave a comment:

• Geohawk63
    replied
    Originally posted by WLB View Post
    I bought new springs for gas lid from Studebaker International for 56 power hawk. Does anyone have a picture on how they go on?
    I bought some from them as well but i don't think they are correctly made. The picture by bensherb shows the arms at almost 90 degrees, while the ones I bought from SI are straight up and down.

Leave a comment:

• chet445
    replied
    I spent hours researching how to do it and once I figured it out I installed both springs in less than 5 minutes. Put the long end in the door then force the spring inward and place the short end in the fender. What could be simpler than that. Wow!

Leave a comment:

• 1953champcoupe
    replied
    I looked several times trying to find THIS solution to my gas lid spring question, I had about given up when I decided to look tonight, as my old boss said, "even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while" and this was the nut I was looking for It took less time to put the springs in than walking to the shop to do it....once I knew how............THANKS!!!!!!

On a side note, I have three Hawks and the 53 Coupe I am building and between all of them I had three springs!!

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    John you just made my day!
    Anyway, today I went & looked at the Subaru's door & inside it was way to rusty, but since I've just cut up a 70's japcrap biketank to make a bubble over the hole in Josephine's hood I then also cut out the quickfill tanklid with a lot of steel around it, so I might go for that & higher up, behind the rear window.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by jerry forrester View Post
    here's how i fixed buttercup's gas door.removed the gas door and the surrounding sheet metal from a mazda 6.took it apart.

Welded it in into the quarter panel in place of the original studebaker gas door.
    Swings sideways and has a remote control. It'll be much easier to insert the gas pump nozzle. These new newfangled over size gas nozzles were not designed for our studebakers.
    i love it!!! finally...a modern offshore car cut up and recycled into a STUDEBAKER!

Leave a comment:

• 56GH
    replied
    Here's another approach that is about as far from original as it can get and may not be for everyone. Use a strong magnet from a name tag! I had a bad name tag where one of the two round magnets fell off and was lost. I used the remaining strong magnet strip and the backer strip on the name tag to make a magnetic catch for the gas lid. I took the name tag strip, bent it into an L-shape, drilled a hole and mounted it to the bolt that holds the filler to the fender. I then Gorilla-glued the magnet strip to the lid and, voila!, a perfect fit!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3547.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1728190 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3548.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1728191

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Jerry, nice work. Not as cool as the gas filler you hid behind the taillight, though.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Ah, THAT gives me the idea about Sonja's partscar Subaru... Then I'll also move it up a bit so I can be kinder to my own backside.

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    Nice work! It even looks mostly stock, when closed.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    Here's how I fixed Buttercup's gas door.

Removed the gas door and the surrounding sheet metal from a Mazda 6.

Took it apart.

Welded it in into the quarter panel in place of the original Studebaker gas door.

Swings sideways and has a remote control. It'll be much easier to insert the gas pump nozzle. These new newfangled over size gas nozzles were not designed for out Studebakers.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Funny this, have been having problems not understanding why the door would not open or close all the way after I used 3-4 times, so today I went in here & looked & went at it again... & the same problem repeated itself; the top springpiece slide through its hole & it gets quite difficult to remove it. Once it was gone I went to look at my pals extra fender & saw that my holes was to big!
    Seems belgian people fill up more than swedish people... Could probably & ofcourse have something to do with Josephine / the belgian car has been driven a longer amount of time. Anyway, I just unscrewed the door from the extra fender & then put it on mine with one screw to see how to place it best upp-down-&-sideways... This is what it looked like then:
    (Yes the difference is coupe door on a sedan body)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Coupe GasDoor.jpg
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1728188
    So for now it's no door at all there because at highway speed the door stands right out fully open due to air pressure from under the fender.
    Funny, eh?

Leave a comment:

• 56GH
    replied
    No wonder I couldn't find the info with an advanced search! It was under gas door, not gas lid. Thanks to all!

Leave a comment:

• WLB
    replied
    Thanks Guys

Leave a comment:

• 52hawk
    replied
    I spent almost a full day installing my gas door and those springs! Don't feel bad. So simple when you finally get them installed!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X