• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Rubber splash sheilds around A frame on 54 Commander

Click image for larger version

Name:	0325191658_Film1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1760427Does anyone have a picture of the position of the flat rubber splash shield that was stapled to the front inner fenders on a C/K 54 Commander. I see my original staple holes, I have my new rubber shields but after a hour of flipping mine around I still don't know for sure how it was placed. I don't see a thing in any of my Stude manuals. Mine were long gone when I bought the car so I have no idea. I have the generator off repainting it so now is the time to put these on. Thanks a ton.Click image for larger version

Name:	0325191658b_Film1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1760426I have no idea why my pictures turn upside down nor can I get them to right. Sorry
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Not sure if it'll help or not, but this is the left one on my Hawk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3326 fender skirt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1727783
    sigpic

Comment

Just so happens I am about to put these on my 53 fenders ,before installing fenders. I am having the same trouble. Could some of you post some more pictures??

Comment

Isn't it usually a "Smart Phone" that causes the flipped Picture issues?

They do not happen using a "REAL" Camera and a "REAL" Computer.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Here ya go.
          Attached Files
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
            Just so happens I am about to put these on my 53 fenders ,before installing fenders. I am having the same trouble. Could some of you post some more pictures??
            I played with these more this afternoon and I am still baffled as to where the factory stapled these on and how the slits and cutouts are to go. Also how do you put these back on ? I know my air stapler sure won't puncture the steel inner fenders. What do you guys do?
            1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
              Here ya go.
              Lord how did you do that? I tried and tried. THANKS !

Comment

I remember that some people have used stainless steel wire to reattach the splash shields - same diameter as those original staples. Pushed it back through the same holes that were already there and bend it back against the inside of inner fender.

Comment

Nice pictures of the outside of the car but doesn’t show subject area.

Comment

Ok , I must be totally wrong here. I thought the shields went on the engine side of the inner fender. Now I'm thinking they go on the wheel side of the inner fender and the staples went from the engine side thru the inner fender into the rubber shield. Still unsure but looking at pics off eBay.

Comment

Yes, the rubber goes on the wheel side of the inner fender. The bottom edge of the rubber sits on the flange of the frame rail.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                        Yes, the rubber goes on the wheel side of the inner fender. The bottom edge of the rubber sits on the flange of the frame rail.
                        Well that makes a difference. What does the dog leg that is notched out fit in to ? How did you attach yours? I guess originally the factory shot staples thru the wheel side and then bent the ends over ? Were the staple ends bent towards themselves or outwards away from each other ?

Comment

Bent toward themselves. There should also be a three fingered sheetmetal stamping that fits over the lower end, and fastens under one of the steering box bolts.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                            Bent toward themselves. There should also be a three fingered sheetmetal stamping that fits over the lower end, and fastens under one of the steering box bolts.
                            I think I have the wrong shields. Mine have a part # 308810 tag on them. I look in SI and I see they have them as # 304810. I think that is a problem I just realized. The 3 finger metal stamping, is that mounted on the car by the s/g box?

Comment

I knew they went on the outside (wheel side) and I took the staples out of mine. So I know how they go. BUT, the original request has not been addressed yet ! "does anyone have a picture of the position of the flat rubber splash shield" ,and so on. by the way, I got staples from S. I. Anyone have a picture?

Comment

Working...
                              X