Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coil ? Points ? Other ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I am a Studebaker owner, we Stude nuts have deep pockets;-)
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    That looks like only about 4 Hours work at $95.00 an Hour professional rate = ONLY about $380.00 plus $3.00 Shipping, for a CONDENSER!

    Yeah, how many do you want?

    Comment


    • #17
      The condenser in my car has been there over 20 years.
      Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
      Interesting discussion. I have never been without one or more points/condenser cars since 1964.

      And I've never had a condenser fail. Are you using 50 year old condensers? Chinese condensers? 5/12 failures? Something is amiss.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
        Interesting discussion. I have never been without one or more points/condenser cars since 1964.

        And I've never had a condenser fail. Are you using 50 year old condensers? Chinese condensers? 5/12 failures? Something is amiss.
        Same with me. I've never had a points or condenser failure.

        I did mess up the points on my 55 Chevy when I was in high school and accidentally connected the power wire to the points terminal on the coil. I immediately replaced the burnt points wire, but didn't think about the 12 volts running through the points spring strap. The car acted like it had a governor set to 35 MPH, as the now weakened spring let the points float at that speed.

        Comment


        • #19
          GOOD GRIEF!!! This was posted way back last Tuesday...No feedback posts from the original poster as to a resolution or acknowledging suggestions from those who have attempted to help. Now, it is Saturday morning, and I'm making the 21st post to the thread. Although the conversation has wandered around a bit, we can all benefit/learn from these experiences as long as the suggestions are explored and the results posted.

          In addition to the suggestions already offered, I'll offer a couple of additional possibilities...carbon tracking on the underside of the distributor cap can be elusive to track down if it sets up a path that is temperature sensitive and the tracking only occurs under certain temperatures and humidity conditions. The same symptom can occur when there's a break in a wire covered in insulation, or even if insulation breaks down and shorts out to ground from an unseen crack in the insulation. Also, contaminated fuel...it only takes a tiny drop of water to find its way into the bottom of a carburetor bowl to cause all kind of havoc when enough accumulates to get sucked up into the venturi and atomized along with gas.

          Gas tanks and even carburetor bowls do not suck up their fuel from the bottom. In both instances, there is usually a small area left for debris to settle in the low spot and not interfere with normal operation. But, there comes a time, if enough water is present, that the road vibration will get it moving around and it will get caught up and pumped into the carburetor. The same symptoms can be caused by accumulated debris/trash getting sucked up around a fuel filter element to starve fuel flow. Once the vehicle sits long enough for the trash to settle back to the bottom of the filter, the vehicle will again start and run until enough road vibration causes it to clog the filter element again and shut off fuel flow. That problem is especially frustrating because usually, the vehicle will run just long enough to strand you out on a busy highway or on a rural road miles away from help.

          My point is that not all such problems are component failure. While these are relatively simple uncomplicated machines, the smartest among us can feel awfully foolish and become very frustrated if we make wrong assumptions and begin replacing parts in an attempt to solve a problem incorrectly diagnosed.

          By the way...this has been a fun discussion...I especially enjoyed the homemade condenser. For a tinkerer, it is a work of art. Reminds me when I rebuilt the generator on my '63 Ford Falcon Sprint way back in 1969 after my girlfriend's father, later father-in-law(RIP) doubted my ability. I spent about $40 bucks proving him wrong when I could have bought a rebuilt generator (with core exchange) for $18 bucks. But, I proved my point and gained a lot of credibility with the father of my soon to be wife.
          Last edited by jclary; 04-26-2019, 09:16 PM.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

          SDC member since 1975

          Comment


          • #20
            jnormanh, the condensers I had problems with came from one of our trusted Studebaker parts vendors. They were from the looks of them, new stock though most likely made off shore. They all tested well within spec, but failed shortly after installation. I am not faulting the vendor as I'm sure they bought the condensers in good faith and were not trying to cheat their customers. Since then, I've been using Standard Motor Parts Blue Streak condensers and so far have not had one fail. In case anyone wants to know, the defective parts were the condensers with the orange lead wires on them and were probably supplied by Airtex. Bud

            Comment


            • #21
              Most condensers sold by auto parts stores are made in China and these are crap!

              Comment


              • #22
                Dirty, rusty gas tank?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Gonna try a carb adjustment today with a long ride...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I'd get a remote starter switch and one of these-
                    https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T.../dp/B003WZVAKY

                    I'd practice using them in the driveway, and take them on my next road jaunt.
                    I'd expect the next time there is a running issue, they would make it pretty clear if the ignition system is at fault.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by jackb View Post
                      Gonna try a carb adjustment today with a long ride...
                      Great!!! I hope you do have a "long ride!" At least it looks like you are keeping a positive attitude!
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

                      SDC member since 1975

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Great story!
                        Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        GOOD GRIEF!!! This was posted way back last Tuesday...No feedback posts from the original poster as to a resolution or acknowledging suggestions from those who have attempted to help. Now, it is Saturday morning, and I'm making the 21st post to the thread. Although the conversation has wandered around a bit, we can all benefit/learn from these experiences as long as the suggestions are explored and the results posted.

                        In addition to the suggestions already offered, I'll offer a couple of additional possibilities...carbon tracking on the underside of the distributor cap can be elusive to track down if it sets up a path that is temperature sensitive and the tracking only occurs under certain temperatures and humidity conditions. The same symptom can occur when there's a break in a wire covered in insulation, or even if insulation breaks down and shorts out to ground from an unseen crack in the insulation. Also, contaminated fuel...it only takes a tiny drop of water to find its way into the bottom of a carburetor bowl to cause all kind of havoc when enough accumulates to get sucked up into the venturi and atomized along with gas.

                        Gas tanks and even carburetor bowls do not suck up their fuel from the bottom. In both instances, there is usually a small area left for debris to settle in the low spot and not interfere with normal operation. But, there comes a time, if enough water is present, that the road vibration will get it moving around and it will get caught up and pumped into the carburetor. The same symptoms can be caused by accumulated debris/trash getting sucked up around a fuel filter element to starve fuel flow. Once the vehicle sits long enough for the trash to settle back to the bottom of the filter, the vehicle will again start and run until enough road vibration causes it to clog the filter element again and shut off fuel flow. That problem is especially frustrating because usually, the vehicle will run just long enough to strand you out on a busy highway or on a rural road miles away from help.

                        My point is that not all such problems are component failure. While these are relatively simple uncomplicated machines, the smartest among us can feel awfully foolish and become very frustrated if we make wrong assumptions and begin replacing parts in an attempt to solve a problem incorrectly diagnosed.

                        By the way...this has been a fun discussion...I especially enjoyed the homemade condenser. For a tinkerer, it is a work of art. Reminds me when I rebuilt the generator on my '63 Ford Falcon Sprint way back in 1969 after my girlfriend's father, later father-in-law(RIP) doubted my ability. I spent about $40 bucks proving him wrong when I could have bought a rebuilt generator (with core exchange) for $18 bucks. But, I proved my point and gained a lot of credibility with the father of my soon to be wife.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Dan this claims to be for HEI ignition........will this also work and a standard point ignition?
                          Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
                          I'd get a remote starter switch and one of these-
                          https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T.../dp/B003WZVAKY

                          I'd practice using them in the driveway, and take them on my next road jaunt.
                          I'd expect the next time there is a running issue, they would make it pretty clear if the ignition system is at fault.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Update: So after about 20 min (of nice driving) on the road on Sunday (60 degrees and dry), the engine started to lose power, worse when attempting to accelerate on the hiway @ ~ 55 mph. So I decided to fiddle with the manual choke (enriching it), and without question I could "affect" the power of the engine. So on the side of the road I adjusted the idle screw out another turn 1+ turns, and I believe things improved. What was missing in the discussion is worn out throttle shaft bores. The carb needs a rebuild and I had been running the choke out a hair for better "off the line" shifting.

                            Right now this quasi-daily driver is needing a short list of repairs, so looks like the truck will be "down" for a while. Boy.....I wish I was retired so I could get at things...

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by jackb View Post
                              Update: So after about 20 min (of nice driving) on the road on Sunday (60 degrees and dry), the engine started to lose power, worse when attempting to accelerate on the hiway @ ~ 55 mph. So I decided to fiddle with the manual choke (enriching it), and without question I could "affect" the power of the engine. So on the side of the road I adjusted the idle screw out another turn 1+ turns, and I believe things improved. What was missing in the discussion is worn out throttle shaft bores. The carb needs a rebuild and I had been running the choke out a hair for better "off the line" shifting.

                              Right now this quasi-daily driver is needing a short list of repairs, so looks like the truck will be "down" for a while. Boy.....I wish I was retired so I could get at things...
                              Don't kid yourself about having lots of time when you're retired.
                              Seems many of us don't have the time, or time and money at the same time, to get things done once we are retired.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                                Don't kid yourself about having lots of time when you're retired.
                                Seems many of us don't have the time, or time and money at the same time, to get things done once we are retired.
                                They say humor only works well if there's an element of truth involved. For several years now, My running joke for retirement has been, "DON'T TELL ANYONE!" Especially if you retire with good enough health to have some fun doing what you want. My natural side is to be pretty self-centered, but my wife has (by example) shown me the way toward caring and compassion for others.

                                My selfish side would have me spending most of my time playing with my toys. But, "LIFE" has a way of reminding us of our responsibilities. Besides my own health challenges, the past five years were spent doing my best to comfort and care for my aging mother as she lived to celebrate her 98th birthday. My wife has had to have multiple doctor visits in the past couple of weeks. Since 2:45 am this morning, I have been sitting up with an unconsolable poodle crying out in pain from arthritis. Somehow, during the time caring for the needs of "others"...I still have to work on my own insulin injections and medications.

                                Even with this bleak depressing scene...today's hope is to move enough of the clutter from my building repair projects, fire up a Studebaker (or two), wash off the cat tracks & pollen, and enjoy a little Studebaker time.

                                NOPE...retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be. (I think I need a nap)
                                John Clary
                                Greer, SC

                                SDC member since 1975

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X