Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (S)
    replied
    I found a few NOS springs and got curious enough to rebuild a C Cab door latch. If the visible spring is the only thing wrong -

The tangs spread pretty easy with a thin screw driver and a hammer to get it started. A larger screw driver was inserted and twist will open the tangs just enough to get the spring out.

Install the new spring long end first up against the mechanism and use a large flat screwdriver in the center of the part that looks like a G . Twist to wind the spring up slightly, then push it down into the tang slot. Bash the tangs back down with your favorite hammer to capture the other end of the spring and you are all set.

You should soak the whole thing in kerosene or something and follow with brake clean. Use some Luberplate white grease where needed and it should last another 50 years.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    Just in case anyone needs this.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    Tell him I need one too.... How much?

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    Bo Markham has it. Just waiting for a price and shipping details.

(Bo, I sent you a PM)

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    Call SI, don't check the catalog, they won't be shown there. The springs are a kinda "Trade Secret" LOL.

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    I have just ordered the parts catalog for my truck (E12-122). It won't be here for over a week. I appreciate the work Skip (and StudeRich) put in looking up parts for people. I have the parts catalog for my other two Studes, and have helped people here on the Forum look up parts for their cars as well.

Now, back to the original subject. I still need that spring.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Thanks, Skip...I too have a bunch of manuals and that cover looks awfully familiar. I might have one after all. That is unless they used the same picture for the shop manual...when I get a chance, (and motivation), I'll have to check. The manual I looked at the other day was the handiest at the time. At one time, I tried to keep them neatly organized. To me, they are treasures...at least one other person in my household kinda tolerated them.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    John-
    Thanks for the offer, but I already have multiple copies of most Stude truck parts books (though am not in the same league as Dick Quinn) -- a clean one for my "library" (fancy term for a bookcase) and a grubby one for the garage. Bought them all years ago when I was SDC VP and had to try to answer simple questions sent to the main SDC PO box (pre-Internet era).

This is the one you want. This one is expensive, though I have seen grubby ones on ebay for as little at $15-$20. SI sells reprints for about $45.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-1956-S...AAAOSwGYhcGc8n
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 05-04-2019, 03:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Thanks. Not sure what version of the truck parts book you are using, but my preference is the January 1961 reprint of the 1949-56 truck parts book. It has all the late corrections and later part numbers, and is especially handy in IDing parts that were used in many models. In that book, the door lock illustration is on page 512 and the parts listing is on page 533.
    Mine covers '56 & up to include T-cabs. I think I have two of them. I'd like to have one like yours. Right now, I'm unable to check the exact publication number/date.

If you have two...let's trade.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by jclary View Post
    [B]
    Regarding this SPRING...in my manual, the illustration is found on page 485, but the real part number is found on page 509. Fortunately...this is one of those parts that are common to all years C-cab production.
    Thanks. Not sure what version of the truck parts book you are using, but my preference is the January 1961 reprint of the 1949-56 truck parts book. It has all the late corrections and later part numbers, and is especially handy in IDing parts that were used in many models. In that book, the door lock illustration is on page 512 and the parts listing is on page 533.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
    Yes, I've been using that part number you provided in post #2. I have not been able to pull it up on SI's website, or others. There is one available on eBay. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get that one.
    BTW: this is for a 55 pickup I just bought. I don't have the parts catalog for that one yet. More on the truck later in another post. (John Clary and Jack Vine's favorite year, and mine, too.)
    Hey Kurt, between two '55 "favorite year" buddies...just drive on over and I'll present you with a spare '55 cab! (has extra ventilation)...it might still have those springs!

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    Yes, I've been using that part number you provided in post #2. I have not been able to pull it up on SI's website, or others. There is one available on eBay. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get that one.
    BTW: this is for a 55 pickup I just bought. I don't have the parts catalog for that one yet. More on the truck later in another post. (John Clary and Jack Vine's favorite year, and mine, too.)

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Part number 278809.
    He's done it again! Thanks, Skip. Not to embarrass you but that's why I appreciate your participation on this forum. You inspired me to go into another room, locate my Truck Parts Catalog, and try to locate the appropriate picture...then page over for several pages for the group numbers corresponding to the pictures...then locate the exact part number. I don't do it often enough to be good at it, and I find the process tedious and aggravating.

I did not do it to check behind you... but to get a better understanding of the entire mechanism? I was wondering if there is an adjustment mechanism to solve the drooping door handle problem? So far, I don't see one. My conclusion is that drooping door handles are a result of wear in all mechanical joints in the assembly probably due to lack of lubrication and most of us using more force than needed when opening the doors. Giving each pivot point proper lubrication would mean removing the door handles, all the screws for the inside cover panel, and then the panel. That's a lot of trouble, and there's little wonder most of us neglect to do this through the years on any regular basis.

Regarding this SPRING...in my manual, the illustration is found on page 485, but the real part number is found on page 509. Fortunately...this is one of those parts that are common to all years C-cab production.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Part number 278809.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    it's not listed, but SI had them when I call a couple years ago. I wish I had bought what I needed, as I have a drooper myself on a 2R5.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X