Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sniper EFI

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fuel System: sniper EFI

    Spent a week or so getting a Holley Sniper EFI system installed on a customers car. (also Turner rear disc brakes).
    Anyways, it works great!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sniper.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1760407Click image for larger version

Name:	clarks engine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1760408Click image for larger version

Name:	efi gauge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1760409
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com


    "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

  • #2
    Fuel Injection hidden inside a "carb." enclosure. That is really neat.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

    Comment


    • #3
      I have one of those on my Cobra replica. I like it so far.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

      Comment


      • #4
        Brad, do you think that a Sniper would fit under an R2 Hawk hood? I would hope a bonnet could be found that would work also. I sure do like your work!!! Thanks for all the help, Bill.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
          Brad, do you think that a Sniper would fit under an R2 Hawk hood? I would hope a bonnet could be found that would work also. I sure do like your work!!! Thanks for all the help, Bill.
          Not Brad - How about using a replica R3 enclosure? They fit under Hawk hoods.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

          SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

          Comment


          • #6
            They will fit. Not any taller than a stock AFB. I already had the enclosure.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com


            "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

            Comment


            • #7
              so, the EFI plays nice with the Paxton?

              Comment


              • #8
                Brad -Did you need to tune the ECM or did it find it's sweet spot and tune itself as the engine ran? Bob

                Comment


                • #9
                  So far so good, but I have a tuner friend fine tune it on his dyno, and laptop. There are a lot of options to be accessed, and tweaked. I will learn and watch.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com


                  "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    They will fit. Not any taller than a stock AFB. I already had the enclosure.
                    I would like to consider this and similar units for use in the '55 Prez but I also want to use the existing oil base air cleaner to look "authentic."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi Brad,
                      Thanks for posting. I am finding this interesting as over the past two winter trips to Arizona(18 months) I have been involved in the playing with FiTech fuel injection kits on a number of local street rods. I have witnessed some finickiness this year and am not quite so enthused as I once was. It seems a major drawback to the FiTech is it can't be used with a master shut off switch as it loses all it's memory. We did run a separate power wire just to power up the FiTech but some other drive ability issues reared it's head. So far the application which has proven to be the most successful, believe it or not, is a Tri-power set up on 383 small block in a 37 Chev sedan. Power was greatly increased in the mid-range over the original Rochester(?) 2 bbls. I'll post any other progress.
                      Cheers,
                      Bill

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So I drove my Cobra around with the sniper fuel injection about a hundred miles. Stopped to top off the fuel and it would not start again. Today my Mechanic called and said I needed a new coil. He replaced it and the car runs again. I am hoping to run in an autocross on Sunday.
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yes, the same drawback is there with the Sniper EFI. If you disconnect the battery, you have to go through the entire tuning process again. You would think that Holley or someone else would come up with a PROM chip that could save whatever tune you program, and then remember the tune after you reconnect the battery.


                          Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                          Hi Brad,
                          Thanks for posting. I am finding this interesting as over the past two winter trips to Arizona(18 months) I have been involved in the playing with FiTech fuel injection kits on a number of local street rods. I have witnessed some finickiness this year and am not quite so enthused as I once was. It seems a major drawback to the FiTech is it can't be used with a master shut off switch as it loses all it's memory. We did run a separate power wire just to power up the FiTech but some other drive ability issues reared it's head. So far the application which has proven to be the most successful, believe it or not, is a Tri-power set up on 383 small block in a 37 Chev sedan. Power was greatly increased in the mid-range over the original Rochester(?) 2 bbls. I'll post any other progress.
                          Cheers,
                          Bill
                          Lew Schucart
                          Editor, Avanti Magazine

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                            So far so good, but I have a tuner friend fine tune it on his dyno, and laptop. There are a lot of options to be accessed, and tweaked. I will learn and watch.
                            Nice.. Any numbers on Dyno results? With that blow-through set up I can imagine you can go up in boost and performance. Only sad part is you cant control the spark curve. Are you making any adjustments to the distributor or only just fuel management?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sounds like the answer to the memory problem would be to provide a small 12 volt gel-cell battery strictly dedicated to keeping the memory alive, and use that feed the "constant 12 volt power" leads for the EFI board, and also the same lead for the radio, to keep its little brain alive, too. Run a diode between the ACC post on the ignition switch and the (+)post on the gel cell so it can be recharged by the alternator when the car is driven. The diode would keep the gel cell from powering up the entire accessory circuit.Most computers have a BIOS battery on the motherboard to keep the BIOS memory alive when the computer is shut down, so it's scarcely a new idea.
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X