Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Installing new Koni shocks on a 1955 Champion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shocks: Installing new Koni shocks on a 1955 Champion

    I have a 1955 Studebaker Champion that I would like to install Koni shocks on. From what I read most people suggest those shocks. Will they fit on a 1955 Champion? Or do they have to be retrofitted? Also, who would install them in Ohio? I am wondering if anyone else has a 1955 Champion. I never see it mentioned on any of the forums. I must have the only one.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  • #2
    Modify the mounts as necessary as there is no better application. It is worth the thrash as you'll have the only race ready '55 Champion in the area. Most people just don't understand why these shocks work so well. I have them for everything from GT Hawk, Avanti, '59 Lark to '57 Clipper wagon.
    Luck in your quest.
    Bill

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
      Modify the mounts as necessary as there is no better application. It is worth the thrash as you'll have the only race ready '55 Champion in the area. Most people just don't understand why these shocks work so well. I have them for everything from GT Hawk, Avanti, '59 Lark to '57 Clipper wagon.
      Luck in your quest.
      Bill
      Thanks for your encouragement. Just what I needed to get the ball rolling. I think we have shocks picked out, and I made arrangements with an alignment shop to work on the front end. I’ll let you know how it all turns out.

      Thanks again.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by STUD_CHAMP View Post
        Thanks for your encouragement. Just what I needed to get the ball rolling. I think we have shocks picked out, and I made arrangements with an alignment shop to work on the front end. I’ll let you know how it all turns out.

        Thanks again.
        Be sure to take the Studbaker Shop Manual with you to the alignment shop and go over how it works. Also, before they begin the alignment, insure they pressure grease all the leventy-seven zerk fittings under the Stude, including the hidden one on the center pivot.

        jack vines
        PackardV8

        Comment


        • #5
          I have got a 56 wagon ( 2 dr commander) for front and rear what are the Koni part numbers ??

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 63looks59 View Post
            I have got a 56 wagon ( 2 dr commander) for front and rear what are the Koni part numbers ??
            The alignment shop is ordering them, but according to Bob Johnstone’s article, the front shocks can be used from any full sized GM car from 1958 to 1985. The rear shocks can be used from a Camaro from the mid 1970s. This will require slight alteration. Hope this helps.

            Comment

            Working...
            X