(Not good) vibrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft: (Not good) vibrations

I can feel the driveshaft vibrations at speed and also there's a kind of hum at exactly 40mph which then disappears. Can these driveshafts be straightened?
    peter lee

How about a drive shaft misalignment ? Or Bad U-joints ? Several items can cause the symptoms you describe . Its unlikely you have a bent driveshaft. Ed

Comment

Agree with Ed. Take it to a driveline shop and have things checked out. Not very expensive to fix, but can be dangerous if left unaddressed.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

My vote is U-joints.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
          I can feel the driveshaft vibrations at speed and also there's a kind of hum at exactly 40mph which then disappears. Can these driveshafts be straightened?
          They can be, but I can not imagine why yours would need it. I go with the others. First check your universal joints.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm curious why you think it's driveshaft. Is it because you feel it in the seat and not the steering or other reasons. I only ask because vibrations at a given speed are sometimes a bear to track down. While I don't disagree with the diagnosis, a lot of parts can get thrown at a problem before it's resolved.

As we don't know how long it's been an issue, it might be the time to switch a few wheels around etc.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              I'm curious why you think it's driveshaft. Is it because you feel it in the seat and not the steering or other reasons. I only ask because vibrations at a given speed are sometimes a bear to track down. While I don't disagree with the diagnosis, a lot of parts can get thrown at a problem before it's resolved.

As we don't know how long it's been an issue, it might be the time to switch a few wheels around etc.

Bob
              I agree with Bob. I was just directly answering your question. I suggested CHECKING your U-joints, not necessarily replacing them, unless really needed. Have your U-joints been regularly lubricated? A binding joint can cause problems. Of course at that point it probably needs to be replaced. Carefully look over your tires - inner, outer, tread area.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

When you say there is a hum at 40MPH it brings back memories of the same thing I had on my first 57 T-Bird. Traced it to a bad rear wheel bearing. I don't remember a serious vibration with that. Like others said, finding a vibration is a hit and miss series of trials unless you get real lucky. I would also check U-Joints first. Usually a U-Joint will make noise or vibrate under load and quit when coasting.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

"Huming" sound/feeling is usually a bearing, but if you don't mind getting your own backside on the ground you could crawl under & put one hand on either side of a U-joint & maby feel a play, but it's probably a small one so consentrate on it.
                  For wheel bearing; lift one wheel & spin it while holding on to the axel as far out to the wheel as possible. Front bearing you can feel play by rocking it out-in when gripping under & top of the wheel.
                  Also check the in-going on the rear axel, I've had cars with quite a play there...

Comment

I always start with the basics- did you lose a tire weight ?, lug nuts tight?, air pressures? Brake shoe dragging? center support rubber bushings. .... Check the Diff fluid too. The front pinion bearing will hum if they are low or going bad. You can 'feel' the bearing by grabbing the driveshaft and try to wiggle it up/down. Like when you check a U joint . You can jack it up and check all of these in a short time.

Comment

I have the car in the shop now and it's been identified as a bad axle bearing. We'll see, I guess..
                      peter lee

Comment

Most of the Studebakers I have owned have a vibration at 35-40mph. No idea why (?) If you have a split driveshaft ,the center bearing mount could be in the wrong holes; the shop manual is not always right about this. Check it on a lift with weight on rear wheels; if it is crooked it will vibrate. Minors flaws in U-joints can be felt. I have a Rotunda gage to check out of round of driveshaft but a dial indicator could probably work. And front and rear driveshafts must be aligned properly, too. Very often they are not. Tail shaft bushings often need replacement and cause a vibration if worn. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                          Most of the Studebakers I have owned have a vibration at 35-40mph. No idea why (?) If you have a split driveshaft ,the center bearing mount could be in the wrong holes; the shop manual is not always right about this. Check it on a lift with weight on rear wheels; if it is crooked it will vibrate. Minors flaws in U-joints can be felt. I have a Rotunda gage to check out of round of driveshaft but a dial indicator could probably work. And front and rear driveshafts must be aligned properly, too. Very often they are not. Tail shaft bushings often need replacement and cause a vibration if worn. Good Luck!
                          Excellent suggestions all. Minor point of clarification; since it was mentioned to verify the center mount isn't 'crooked', we might clarify the front and rear driveshaft splines must be properly indexed so the front and rear U-joints are in the correct relation to each other. Yes, just shoving the the splines on any which way will definitely result in a vibration - BTDTNA.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

What Jack and Jeffery said...with regards to the driveline...

Comment

I can feel the rhythmic vibration at highway speeds in the steering wheel and the seat of my pants and it stops when decelerating.
                              peter lee

Comment

Working...
                              X