Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

faulty temp sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: faulty temp sensor

I believe I have a faulty brand new temp sensor on my 289 the temp gauge starts to climb then It pegs to 240.
    anyone else have this problem?
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

Maybe you got a sender for a warning light instead of a gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
      I ordered it from SI I have it underlined in the catalog 1957-64 V8 all models.
      I know the work on resistance similar to a gas gauge.
      I just threw away a gauge because it was rusty and crusty, I parted out a rusty 64gt, and recently went from 1380 sq ft of garage to under 500. a lot of things got trashed I posted that I was parting out the car, the only takers I got were two friends her in NC
      Mark Riesch
      New Bern, NC

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
        Jerry, hey it's too Late to be without your morning Coffee, I think you forgot we are talking about a Temp. Gauge Sender, not an Oil Pressure Sender.
        Because I know you know, that ALL Studebakers have Temp. Gauges, no idiot lights for Temp.

Mark, could the Orange? Wire to the Sender be bare and grounded somewhere?

Which Year and Model Stude. is it?
        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-21-2019, 09:54 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Check sender voltage, with a thermometer in the manifold my 259 runs at 160-165 however the Gage is pegged, I am fairly sure my sender voltage is incorrect but I haven't changed it. I bought it from a reputable Packard dealer who assured me it was 6 volts. The Studebaker temperature senders are 6 or 12 volts but are different size fittings

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Jerry, hey it's too Late to be without your morning Coffee, I think you forgot we are talking about a Temp. Gauge Sender, not an Oil Pressure Sender.
            Because I know you know, that ALL Studebakers have Temp. Gauges, no idiot lights for Temp.

Well, I have seen this problem before with ‘65 - ‘66 Studebaker owners trying to figure out which GM application sender to use. If you check Chevrolet applications you will see different senders listed for gauges vs. warning lights.

Comment

It's a 63 hawk, it starts to rise normally up to about 140 the the next time I look it's pegged. I'll try and wiggle the wire and see if its changes. the seder works with resistance changes, correct? I just put the engine back in this car, the thing that has changed is the sender.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Mark Riesch
              New Bern, NC

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                Check sender voltage, with a thermometer in the manifold my 259 runs at 160-165 however the Gage is pegged, I am fairly sure my sender voltage is incorrect but I haven't changed it. I bought it from a reputable Packard dealer who assured me it was 6 volts. The Studebaker temperature senders are 6 or 12 volts but are different size fittings
                David (altair) So I guess you are working on a different Car than Mark? Possibly a '54 or older Packard 6 Volt?

The size of the Stude. Larger senders (12 Volt '56 & early '57) is probably the SAME SIZE as Packard 6 Volt.

Studebaker changed the 12 Volt Senders to the smaller ones in the middle of '57, so Small & Large 12 Volt DO exist, and the larger ones can be confused with 6 Volt.

The Voltage change, caused the OHM rating of each to be different. You COULD check it's OHM reading.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 04-26-2019, 01:01 PM. Reason: ADDED "SIZE" in Maroon.
                StudeRich

Comment

Thank you Rich good stuff. I am working on a 63 259, I have installed the engine my 54 Champion Sedan. I have kept everything 6 volts. I would therefore be looking for a smaller size 6 volt sender. Question... Would a 12 volt sender cause a 6 volt gage to peg?

The engine runs right on 160-162 on my accessory temperature gage and the dash temp gage is pegged. I may see you when I am at the steam gas fair at Berthusen Park

Comment

Install a Large 6 Volt Temp. Sender on a Late Model Engine

I know of NO small size 6 volt Temp. Senders.

What you need to do is, install the cylinder Head rear cover plate from a '51 to early 1957 V8 to use the LARGE Size 6 volt Sender.
                    StudeRich

Comment

I have a spare 6 volt sender and cover and I will drill and tap it for the larger 6 volt unit, hope it works, thanks.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01429.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1727891Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01427.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1727892Accessory thermometer and dash gage. This is a 63 259 running in a 54 Champion still on 6 volts.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80666[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80667[/ATTACH]Accessory thermometer and dash gage. This is a 63 259 running in a 54 Champion still on 6 volts.
                          I am going to guess that is with a sensor that is correct to operate on 12 volts being used for a 6 volt system.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have a spare 6 volt sender and cover and I will drill and tap it for the larger 6 volt unit, hope it works, thanks.
                            I don't understand how you got this backwards. Read Post #8 and 10 again.
                            Also, I think Gary may be correct.
                            StudeRich

Comment

I was assured from the Packard vendor that the unit was 6 volts, however it had no stampings on it. What is the issue with using a 6 volt sender from a 6 volt system off a 6 cylinder engine and re-tapping the cover plate to suit?

Comment

Working...
                              X