Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought Backfire problem solved then no....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Thought Backfire problem solved then no....

After getting some very good advice I thought my backfire/hiccup problem on the 51 232 was solved. My wife drove all around with not problem. Started to go home and the car acted up again. Timing does not effect it. It can be way advanced or retarded and it still balks. Runs smoothly at idle. Has new petronix in it now.That did not fix it. Have a few air bubbles in the fuel pump bowl when running at idle. Pulled carb today and went through every part of it again. Cleaned it. I want to reset the float level. I do not have the tool to do that. What is the measurement for the float for the AUUv26 carb?
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Thanks Garry. I thought that I had done this before and I looked but couldn’t find it. Thanks for bringing it back up.
      62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Bubbles in the fuel bowl. Are you sure you don't have a leak somewhere? A slug of air would interrupt the power.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I have enclosed a picture of my setup. The bowl closest to the fuel pump has air bubbles flowing in from the top. Today is the first time I saw gas on the outside of the bowl. It has been doing that with both fuel pumps.
          62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I always have some bubbles in the fuel pump bowl on my 52 232. Never had a problem.
            3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Yes, it has always had them too. Even before this problem.
              62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

If the bubbles are caused by fuel splashing into the space it isn't a problem. I had a glass inline filter on my car and a member saw bubbles one day. I had a small leak.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Backfiring problems are often due to the coil going bad. Often run fine 'till it gets hot and then breaks down internally.
                  Fred

Comment

This backfires now before it gets hot. New Pertronix and coil.
                    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Why do you have two bowls??

Comment

The first bowl is a fuel filter. I get around 5psi from the fuel pump. I do not have any restriction on fuel. I have been working on this for months. New fuel pump, Pertronix, rebuilt and recleaned carb, timing has been set all over the place, Fresh gas. Idles fine. Choke has been set to many different settings. Mechanic advance is working. Tried about every idea presented to me. It used to be able to idle and if you gunned it at idle it would be fine. Now it bogs down and backfired out of the carb. I will reset the floats again. It has to be something simple, I am just missing it. Getting ready to move on to a different car and fix this later.
                        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Have you checked the valve clearance lately? If they are wrong, this might explain the trouble. I think I would also get rid of the pertronix temporarily to run some tests with a classic dist.
                          Best of luck.
                          sigpic

Comment

I can check valves. I installed Pertronix because it was doing this with the distributor. The coil was leaking oil before I replaced it. Pertronix or dist has not effected this problem.
                            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Check your fuel volume coming thru the pump. My 51 had good fuel pump pressure, but didn’t pump enough volume. I believe the spec is in the shop manual. I rebuilt the “ new” pump I had installed and fixed it. In my opinion, that top of engine mounted fuel pump stinks.....
                              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                              X