Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Street / Track Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Street / Track Performance

Found some old photos and early performance videos from spring cleanup. The hardtop is a 54 coupe from high school years. Started a homemade Roadster project in 84 and finished it for the street by the end of 86. $100 for a rusty 61 Cruiser, 3 speed, overdrive 289.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 11SecAvanti; 04-11-2019, 08:58 PM. Reason: additions
    Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Tell us more about the roadster please.

Comment

I know where the (a?) transmission from the roadster is.
      sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Wasn't that roadster turbocharged and capable of a 12 second quarter mile run? I read about it once in a Dick Datson publication.

Comment

I believe this picture was from Dick Datson's magazine.
          Attached Files
          sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Roadster was made from plywood sheets, some quarter rounds, and seal coated with fiberglass and resin. Windshield was flat glass cut with trimmed rocker chair ends. Added exhaust piping for bumpers and top made from cloth and more fiberglass. Very basic tools here. Borrowed a welder for some bracket to body bracing. Jig saw cut the grill and firewall to fit. Cut the floor tunnel to fit, etc. Wheelbase was 113". Took out one spring from the rear to smooth the ride and installed Ford Fairmont springs in the front. Ride became really good then. My garage was a 6 X 6 storage room. Taillights were GT inserts and blower was 2 barrel VS series from a York vendor purchase. Photo from 1990 or 91 year. Fenders came from Northern (trailer parts). I took off the front fenders to narrow the nose frontal appearance. Salvage yard seats, etc. Headlites were JC Whitney (not for sure here) and some motorcycle turn bulbs. Thanks for the interest.

Will host some videos when I can copy from the VHS tapes. E
            Attached Files

Comment

Neat early project! Does the trimmed Grille Panel and Grill from a 1962 Lark, mean that the Car was really a 1962?
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Changed the grill to 62 style to give a more narrow appearance. Cut / trimmed the hood for rain protection. Added the side grills for some side design flow balance. They were removeable. Engine and firewall were moved back several inches. Enough to set the radiator back and slightly above the center bell crank. Steering box also moved back. Reaching the bell crank with the steering rod was solved by coupling two tie rod ends together. A clearance hole was cut through the brass radiator core for the reach rod. Lost a few core lines but they were solder closed off.

Over the years I experimented with odd combos. Went from 3 speed to 4 speed Munice to 5 speed (Sunbird tranny) to flight automatic. A mustang II floor shifter was used for the stude flight tranny. Ran as a low to drive with 2-3 shift via governor only. The governor was modified for a higher rpm shift point.

Tried various rear ratios. Started with 3.54 which was already in the Cruiser. Then to 3.73, then to a 4.27 which was too low, then back to 3.54 and closed out with 3.31.

As for induction tried a host of experiements from blown 2 barrel, to Q jet with Nitrous 100 power shot, to single Paxton to parallel blowers, to blowers in series and finally twin turbos. The best combo ever in hindsight was twin turbo (TO-3's), iron intake AFB, standard R1 cam, 3.31 rear, flightomatic trans, ported heads and yes iron cast manifolds. Single points also were the best as I once had a total Petronic failure while on the starting line and had to be pushed off.

Early problems were fuel delivery under boost conditions and carb leaning. Lost several cast pistons over the years.
                As the car got quicker tech flagged me and told me not to come back without a roll cage. That meant a months mortgage plus and money was tight. But I dipped into emergency funds and had a pro install a cage. Few years later I got tech bounced again because I didn't have doors. That's when I switched over to a GT Hawk.
                Attached Files

Comment

Winternationals. R2 vs. 421 Pontiac.
                  Attached Files

Comment

An early VHS video in early 1993. Testing twin TO-3's. This will be 1 of hopefully many videos. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBne...ature=youtu.be
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
                      Winternationals. R2 vs. 421 Pontiac.
                      Winter nationals?

What Year?

Is that you driving? Looks like the driver was just out on a Sunday drive.

Comment

Tell us more about R2 versus 421 Pontiac. White winter nationals what year and more on the lark The picture is very unclear cannot read the side of the car. Thanks John Kroulik

Comment

Single points also were the best as I once had a total Petronic failure while on the starting line and had to be pushed off.
                          This appears to be more than the "odd occurrence" as we had numerous Pertronic failures in our shop too. I definitely am not sold on this system upgrade.
                          I think it is so cool that you dare to be different.
                          Bill

Comment

That appears to be Gordon Williams from the Inland Empire of Calif. it is a Super Red, '63 Studebaker Standard 2 Door Sedan with a Column Shift H.D. Automatic, probably at the Pomona Drag Strip.

I believe one of the years at least that Gordon won his Class was 1963.

Here is it's fender with the holes for the 289 (Ford) Emblem:

From this Old String:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?25199-What-happened-to-Gordon-Williams-63-Lark-Drag-Car&highlight=gordon+williams

I put mine on my Avanti Red Wagonaire in the same place:

Click image for larger version

Name:	My Wagonaire2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1727956 Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagonaire in Redondo.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1727957
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 05-08-2019, 02:20 AM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Here is a bracket dial in race with dual breakouts. Had to spot the Mustang a full second off the tree. First sub 12 second run as I recall. Didn't have any fuel delivery issues on this run and went by him way before the finish line. This was a 289 GT Hawk engine with cast dish pistons and factory B/W flightomatic. Spring of 93.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmAP...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Working...
                              X