black lead to -
    red lead to+
    + 12VDC to plus
    new cap
    New rotor, the one with the carbon rod
    I turn the crank to TDC
    I pull #1 plug to see if it is at tdc, it is
    I check that both valves are closed so It's not 180 off they are
    I check the position and rotation of the rotor, where the rotor is pointing should be #1 cyl
    I put the rest of the plug wires on in the order marked on the intake, and listed in the manual
    nothing happens!!!!!
    the most I get when I turn to adjust the timing the dist. is an occasional backfire thru the carb
    I have tried +12vdc right from the battery to the coil

mark, who is extremely frustrated in New Bern NC

oh by the way I have tried two different rotors without the carbon rod, which were suggested by fellow stude people one is too tall, the other is small.

is the carbon rod rotor the problem? I don't think so, do I have the wrong cap?

my rebuilt engine was delivered to me 8 days before I had to turn my house over to the new owner with the car lift included. I'm In my new house and a much smaller garage, no lift. I can't find half my stuff including my Fluke meter**##!!!!!

maybe my cap and rotor are mis matched is that possible
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

check this, sounds like it you may have installed the wires for clockwise rotation........just a thought distributor Rotation • Counterclockwise viewed from above.

Comment

they are cc
      Mark Riesch
      New Bern, NC

Comment

Is the Pertronix a new install? If so go through the trouble shooting procedure. The Pertronix module has to be grounded. There are also some voltage checks to be preformed. Google it or call Pertronix tech help. Might do that even if not a new installation.

Comment

Originally posted by TXmark View Post
          Tell me what I'm doing wrong/Cut/my rebuilt engine was delivered to me 8 days before I had to turn my house over to the new owner with the car lift included./Cut/
          If the Cap fits snugly on the Dist. with hold down clips in place, it should be the right Early Delco Cap.
          You could try laying the Rotor inside the cap to check for proper Rotor contact length to reach the Cap contacts.

So I take it this Engine in it's current condition has never Run, that makes me wonder about the Valve timing, but then you say everything lined up.

How about the Distributor Case to Block GROUND? Is there thick, fresh Paint under it?
          It gets a Gasket under it, so basically it's the Clamp and Screw that Ground it.

UPDATE: OH NO!! NOT still another Studebaker Owner/SDC Member who did not buy his Pertronix Unit from a Studebaker Vendor!

The 1183 fits ONLY '56 Golden Hawks with the Autolite DUAL Point Distributor for the Packard Engine!

We did talk about this 22 Days ago over here:
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?110188-electronic-ignition-which-module&highlight=Pertronix+1183

Only Post #4 and #8 will help anyone, the rest is just off-topic BS.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 04-11-2019, 12:15 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Seems to me that job number one is to see if you have spark at all. Pull the coil wire from the center tower on the distributor cap, hold the end about a quarter-inch from a good ground (not on the carburetor!), and have someone crank the engine. You should see fat blue sparks. If you do, then you have an ignition timing, compression, or fuel delivery problem. If you don't, then you have a problem with your coil, or the primary ignition circuit.

What triggers the Pertronix module? Does it have a reluctor that fits over the distributor cam, or does it magnetically sense the cam lobes directly?
            Last edited by gordr; 04-11-2019, 11:47 AM. Reason: typo
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Tell me what I'm doing wrong
              I have a delco from a 60 hawk in my 63 hawk
              Pertronix 1183
              Pertronix 1.5 ohm coil
              black lead to -
              red lead to+
              + 12VDC to plus
              new cap
              I turn the crank to TDC
              I check the position and rotation of the rotor, where the rotor is pointing should be #1 cyl
              I put the rest of the plug wires on in the order marked on the intake, and listed in the manual
              nothing happens!!!!!
              the most I get when I turn to adjust the timing the dist. is an occasional backfire thru the carb

oh by the way I have tried two different rotors without the carbon rod, which were suggested by fellow stude people one is too tall, the other is small.

my rebuilt engine was delivered to me 8 days before I had to turn my house over to the new owner with the car lift included. I'm In my new house and a much smaller garage, no lift. I can't find half my stuff including my Fluke meter**##!!!!!

I got the 1183 info from a member with 1800 posts, the unit bolted right in. I now have spark , the 12vdc I was tied into only has 12vdc with ing on, not in the start mode. BTW the member that told me 1183, is usually very reliable.
              My starter problem should be a thing of the past
              I ordered a rebuilt from Steven Allen. The used starter which is junk came from an un named vendor in Houston.
              I also got the rotor without the carbon rod to work. I just was not pushing it down hard enough
              My battery is charging now, but I still don't believe the timing is correct
              I java a call into Phil harris.
              Last edited by TXmark; 04-11-2019, 01:13 PM.
              Mark Riesch
              New Bern, NC

Comment

Only Phil Harris, myself and few others have the correct info and do NOT use the info copied from the Pertronix Website.
                Your Dist. uses a 1187LS.
                StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  If the Cap fits snugly on the Dist. with hold down clips in place, it should be the right Early Delco Cap.
                  You could try laying the Rotor inside the cap to check for proper Rotor contact length to reach the Cap contacts.

So I take it this Engine in it's current condition has never Run, that makes me wonder about the Valve timing, but then you say everything lined up.

How about the Distributor Case to Block GROUND? Is there thick, fresh Paint under it?
                  It gets a Gasket under it, so basically it's the Clamp and Screw that Ground it.

UPDATE: OH NO!! NOT still another Studebaker Owner/SDC Member who did not buy his Pertronix Unit from a Studebaker Vendor!

The 1183 fits ONLY '56 Golden Hawks with the Autolite DUAL Point Distributor for the Packard Engine!

We did talk about this 22 Days ago over here:
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?110188-electronic-ignition-which-module&highlight=Pertronix+1183

Only Post #4 and #8 will help anyone, the rest is just off-topic BS.
                  I just got of the phone with Phil Harris 1183 is the right unit. The 1187 is just a later version
                  Mark Riesch
                  New Bern, NC

Comment

OK thanks, I'll just throw away my latest Fairborn Studebaker price and application list 4/22/2018, there must have been a newer update to cross reference the two numbers that I do not have.
                    StudeRich

Comment

Tell me what I'm doing wrong
                      I have a delco from a 60 hawk in my 63 hawk
                      Pertronix 1183
                      Pertronix 1.5 ohm coil
                      black lead to -
                      red lead to+
                      + 12VDC to plus
                      new cap
                      I turn the crank to TDC
                      nothing happens!!!!!

Well I just figured out what I'm doing wrong!!!!! cylinder number assignments. I thought left side 1234 right 5678, when it's actually 1357-2468. It's 5:00 am I'll wait until it gets light.
                      Mark Riesch
                      New Bern, NC

Comment

It'll fire right up...

Comment

Mark, despite many people thinking any 289 engine has to be a Ford engine, with their weird 1234 and 5678 down each head for cylinder numbers, Studebaker, and every other manufacturer, numbers cylinders starting with the front most one 1, next is 2 etc, as following the crankshaft journals. Only Ford would look at a crankshaft and see 1, 5, 2, 6, 3, 7, 4, 8.. What was Henry thinking or smoking?
                          Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                          X