Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'63 Lark... Convert power steering to manual...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: '63 Lark... Convert power steering to manual...

I have the inFamous '63 rusty Cruiser being prepped for its final "voyage." It has power steering that is non-functional but it don't want to change the whole thing out. Can I simply remove the pump, hoses and possibly drive it that way or do I have to replace the reach rod to make solid the linkage between the bell crank and pitman arm? I don't care if it has a "little" play but cannot accept a "lot of play" on a 2K drive from RI to Austin... NO, I don't want to fix/repair the unit!

TIA

If you change out the PS control valve and reach rod for a solid reach rod, then the only play will be in the steering box (and worn tie rods/center pin). You should remove the Ram piston from the bel-crank also.
    Last edited by 64V-K7; 04-10-2019, 03:43 AM. Reason: added info
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I pulled a small U-haul trailer from Temple to Boston with a 64' ragtop and the belt pulled from a smoked reservoir. Installed a good pump and drove it another 50K miles....you'll be on the straight-a-ways most of the time, and radials too...

Comment

Been there.
        Yes, just remove all of the "power" parts, find (Stude International?) the proper "reach rod", swap it (no "out" req'd) for the current one.

I removed the power steering from my 59, V-8 Lark after I found two of the four hoses leaking. Too much money, too much hassle to fix. Plus, it gets rid of a lot of under hood junk. Drove it few miles with it in place, drove it almost 90,000 miles with it gone.

Mike

Comment

Thank you Mike... Since this is just going to be a one way trip I'll get a new-to-me reach rod from Barry in Houston. It doesn't need to perfect, just safe.

And thanks to all of you who responded!

Comment

If you save ALL the P/S parts taken off, there are other owners out there that will pay you for those parts.
            "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Working...
            X