Oil Bath Air Cleaners - 1952 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Oil Bath Air Cleaners - 1952 Champion

I am cleaining the oil bath air cleaner of my '52 Champion. Is the painted/coated interior supposed to be rough, almost like sand was in the paint? I'm not sure if this is part of the design of the oil bath air cleaner because of the way it works or somthing else.
    1952 Studebaker Champion Starliner
    1953 Studebaker Champion Starliner
    1965 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible
    1967 Mercedes 250SL

The roughness doesn't sound like the one I had. What part of the interior do you mean? Most of the inside of mine was bare metal. Paint would not be necessary with oil in there.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

The exterior is smooth and black. The entire interior has a greyish black coating that is very rough. It does not appear to be a deposit that needs to be cleaned off. I have cleaned it thoroughly...it seems like part of the paint. The entire unit is in flawless shape.
      1967 Mercedes 250SL

Comment

If it doesn't come off, it shouldn't be a problem. No one will be poking around in there anyway.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sometimes oil and dirt gets baked in these units, especially if the oil isn't filled when servicing. Maybe that's what you're seeing, although you should be able to scratch it or soften with solvent. As 52fan pointed out these are bare metal, unpainted, on the inside.

Comment

Well...that's 2 of you saying it should be bare metal so probably so. The problem with any old cars, is that we often assume that the what we see is the way it was or original...or asume it has been changed but it has not. I use to make this mistake with my 67 Mercedes and discussing it with people. Now I learned that very few parts on many cars are the way they were. This is even true of parts that have not been changed! Many parts on a mid-sixties Mercedes were cadmium plated but of course do not look that way now since cadmium is sacrificial.

An oil bath air cleaner is an odd thing in that it had to deal with a petroleum based liquid on the inside...but is also exposed to air internally. Coatings to deal with oil back in the day would have been a problem...but my air cleaner looks fantastic inside and out so I wasn't sure about it at all. What botered me was that some of the roughness seemed to be coming off but I didn't know if that was just age and a bad design choice or just shouldn't be there.

I don't care about the originality. When I first saw the coating I wanted to remove it since it looked like a bad place for it...but thought it might serve a purpose.

I think I have the info I need now. Thanks.
            Last edited by Likes2Laff; 04-09-2019, 08:53 PM.
            1967 Mercedes 250SL

Comment

Working...
            X