No announcement yet.

Splicing Flarestat into a '51 LC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Splicing Flarestat into a '51 LC?

Anybody have the wire-out schematics or other advice for splicing a Flarestat 105 Y72 (or close enough sibling) emergency flashers into a '51 Land Cruiser that already has factory turn signals?

BTW, I hope to have Bunnie Ketcher back on all four wheels later today.
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

OT: But where does this site hide the edit function for my signature? I want to update it to include Bunnie Ketcher.
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case

Comment

Go to your settings and poke around. It's in there somewhere. I always have to search a bit because I don't need to change anything very often.
      Last edited by 52-fan; 04-09-2019, 09:03 AM.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

You should not have to splice anything. They had connectors to do the connections......

Comment

Just remember that a Flarestat Kit is "UNIVERSAL" for all models, so you have to know some things about your Positive Ground 6 Volt Studebaker like, have the Wiring diagram from the Shop Manual handy.

One thing to remember is; Studebakers have the dash Indicators wired to the Front Turn Signals, there MAY be extra not needed wires for that.

I don't know if you bought a 12 volt Negative Ground Unit or a 6 Volt Positive Ground one, but wired correctly with the correct Flasher and Bulb either should work fine. These are Quality, made in USA Parts made by Signal-Stat Co. Mfg. of all kinds of Lights.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Here's a photo of the actual device. It has a yellow wire, white wire, blue wire, green wire, and three black wires. Maybe there's a Seussian rhyme in there trying to get out. Despite that does anybody know where they all connect?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	flarestat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1727547
            Although I'm wondering if I still fall into the thinking of buying something at a swap meet when I was a teen and then taking it home and trying to get it to work. Although it's 40 years later and I'm pushing 60...

Anyway, I got Bunnie Ketcher back on all four wheels and out of the garage and down to Runza and back for the first time of the year. Just in time for the weather to take another cold dump for a few days.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	51lc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1727548
            She's been side-graded to baby moons and beauty rings. I know the full wheel covers were a pricier option, but I think these look better.

Comment

Does it have an identifying name, number on it? I tried Google and that number did not work. There are many diagrams online if you search the right name and number. "close enough" does not cut it when doing wiring but does get you a + 50/50 shot on Google. .

Comment

Isn't there a couple prongs on it (Bottom?) for the Second Flasher Unit?

There were some cheaper 4 Ways that use the Turn Signal Flasher, but most Flarestat's used their own separate Flasher. Looks like this Model may not have.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I can’t remember the last time I needed to use a four way flasher on my daily driver.

Comment

I have a Signalstat 105, but it has fewer wires. Green-LF. Red-RF. Black-RR. White-LR. Yellow to the "L" contact on the flasher (model 621).. Mine is used on a truck with separate signal lamps and no dash tell tale. Suspect your extra wires are related to that.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                    X