X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whitehawk759
    replied
    Originally posted by doofus View Post
    Don please keep us posted on that control valve from Rock Auto,could help a lot of us leaker's. Luck Doofus
    It looks perfect. I have not had it installed yet but am taking it in on the 6th for that and some other summer adjustments before car show season. Almost half as much as the original rebuild. Don

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    Dave Thibeault used to supply completely rebuilt Bendix power steering setups.
    I am not sure if he still does but you can check.
    Google Studebaker Parts and Services in Massachusetts.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...4025107941045/

https://www.telegram.com/article/201...NEWS/303019947
    Last edited by rkapteyn; 05-03-2019, 09:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    Don please keep us posted on that control valve from Rock Auto,could help a lot of us leaker's. Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• Hawkowner
    replied
    There Has to be movement at the ball stud for the steering to work if there is no movement the spool valve can not move and there will be no assist

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
    Perhaps someone can chime in on their success with modern electric power steering (Saturn??) on one of our marques.
    Bill
    I believe that is what I had on my Lotus 7 replica. It was very seamless and lightweight. If you have room for it it is a nice solution.
    The assist was completely adjustable. No road feel though. It did not matter as in the lotus you could see what the front wheels were doing with the cycle fenders.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by circlebar View Post
    Don't know, all i know is this is a modified car Chev 350 Vortek engine with 350 transmission. The front end has been completley rebuilt original except for Disc brakes. Replaced king pins and all control arm bushings , tie rod ends etc.
    I have to much play in the control valve which is a rebuilt unit or has been rebuilt by the previous owner. I'll probably rebuild it myself if I can find a kit with a replacement ball.

Thanks for the help

Jim[ATTACH=CONFIG]80016[/ATTACH]
    No help with your ps, but I really like your car (Starliner). Are they Lincoln door buttons?

Leave a comment:

• whitehawk759
    replied
    I just ordered a rebuilt CV from Rock Auto. Hope it is the correct unit. This is the most reasonable price I have found. $178.79 for the unit with a $250 core charge. Don

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    Perhaps someone can chime in on their success with modern electric power steering (Saturn??) on one of our marques.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• circlebar
    replied
    Originally posted by Ross View Post
    Don't be fooled by the fact that the valve seems to have a lot of play when the engine is not running. That is normal. Once pressure comes onto the system the valve is held centered and only deflects enough to allow pressure to the ram when assist is required. There is an adjustment for free play in the valve but that is easily reached by removing the endcap on the valve.

Good point, didn't think of that , I'll check it out.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• circlebar
    replied
    Originally posted by gordr View Post
    Jim, if your car has the linkage-type power steering with the power ram and and control valve physically separate parts, linked by hoses, then it is a transplant from a later model Studebaker, '58 and up, if I remember the date right. Fifty-three to '57 used the Saginaw Offset in-box power steering, which was very bulky. The linkage type can be retro-fitted to most car models going back to 1951, using all factory parts.

Yes that is what I have, control valve and cylinder, so it must be a transplant as you suggest.
    I think I'm just going to look into working with what I have.

Thanks for the input

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied
    Don't be fooled by the fact that the valve seems to have a lot of play when the engine is not running. That is normal. Once pressure comes onto the system the valve is held centered and only deflects enough to allow pressure to the ram when assist is required. There is an adjustment for free play in the valve but that is easily reached by removing the endcap on the valve.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Jim, if your car has the linkage-type power steering with the power ram and and control valve physically separate parts, linked by hoses, then it is a transplant from a later model Studebaker, '58 and up, if I remember the date right. Fifty-three to '57 used the Saginaw Offset in-box power steering, which was very bulky. The linkage type can be retro-fitted to most car models going back to 1951, using all factory parts.

Leave a comment:

• circlebar
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Welcome to the club. You'll find all the direction (and sometimes mis-direction) you'll ever want.

To be sure we're all on the same car, your '54 has a '58-up Bendix linkage assist swapped in, correct?

No.

Yes, but a search here will find more frustrations than successes. But it can be done by someone with good fabrication skills. One complaint after most R&P transplants is insufficient travel/increased turning circle. The Studebaker Bendix is essentially the same as Ford and some Mopars of the era. There are companies which offer rebuilt exchange. I haven't personally used them, but some here can point you toward the source.

jack vines
    Don't know, all i know is this is a modified car Chev 350 Vortek engine with 350 transmission. The front end has been completley rebuilt original except for Disc brakes. Replaced king pins and all control arm bushings , tie rod ends etc.
    I have to much play in the control valve which is a rebuilt unit or has been rebuilt by the previous owner. I'll probably rebuild it myself if I can find a kit with a replacement ball.

Thanks for the help

JimClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2249.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1727545

Leave a comment:

• circlebar
    replied
    Thank you for your input

Jim

Leave a comment:

• circlebar
    replied
    Thank you for the response, I will keep all of it in mind as I proceed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X