12-inch disc brake conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 12-inch disc brake conversion

A club member mentioned that he had put a set of front disc brakes using 12" diameter Ford rotors and Chrysler calipers on a 50s model using a brake design by John Kunkel of Sacramento, California. Apparently the Kunkel design had been published in a Studebaker performance book done by Dick Datson.

Does anyone have a copy of that book they'd be willing to sell, or is there anyone who could copy the article for me so I can build a set those brakes for my '51 Champion? Thanks.

Jim Turner is making a setup for the 1939-50 Champions using 4 lug rotors. Also for 5 lug wheels.
    http://www.turnerbrake.com

Comment

I have some of Dick Datson's literature but I'll have to find it and look through it. It will be a couple days before I will get back to you whether I have info or not. Bill

Comment

Well Don, I've looked through everything I have of Dick Datson's and I don't find anything pertaining 12" disc brakes by John Kunkel. I am missing some issues in Dick's series and there are a few disc brake conversions done, but they are mostly similar to Jim Turners system. Sorry that I didn't find what you're looking for, maybe someone else will come up with it. Bill

Comment

Bill, thanks. I appreciate you having taken the time to look for the article.--Don

Comment

Is here any particular reason you need 12" brakes? Even stock V-8 drums are a big improvement on a Champion. My 52 Commander has later Stude drum brakes and stops well.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
              Is here any particular reason you need 12" brakes? Even stock V-8 drums are a big improvement on a Champion. My 52 Commander has later Stude drum brakes and stops well.
              I did the same with my (ex) '51 Commander, 11" on front, 10" on back, from '54 and later Studes. This made a big difference, and it was bolt in...FYI

Comment

Working...
              X