Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 63 Hawk over heating

Hello,

My 63 GT Hawk is overheating at stoplights, on the highway she runs hot, little over 200. Has a new thermastat, but at stop lights she goes to 230-240. Makes me nervous. Do folks usually put electric fans on these? Advice appreciated.

Lance Campbell

Good chance that the block needs flushed. Messy job. Remove the core plugs and use a pressure washer to clean the crud out of the block. A garden hose will work also.

Comment

An electric fan will not cure your problem (it MAY mask it). If a Hawk runs hot going down the road, a fan will not cure the problem (it is getting plenty of air).
      If the block hasn't been cleaned out, do that. You may have a defective or worn out water pump or a collapsed hose or something else.

EDIT: First determine if it is truly running that hot and you are not just seeing an erroneous gauge reading. Is it boiling over/out?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, water came out of the overflow whileparked and idling

Comment

Take a good peek in your filler neck while the level is down and see if the tubes aren't obscured with big old rust flakes and debris. A simple reverse flush of the radiator might go a long way.

Comment

You should also check for head gasket leak. There are kits at your FLAPS for this. IIRC, there is also a procedure in the shop manual.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Remove the core plugs
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20190203_115933.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1725924
              GT Hawk 62 V8
              Lark 62 hardtop skytop 6 cyl
              Silver Hawk 57 Hardtop 6 cyl
              Transtar 57 V8
              Starliner 54 V8

Comment

I've driven my 62 Hawk across the desert in the summer and the water temperature doesn't rise above 190 degrees. A Hawk does not need an electric fan added if the cooling system is clean which includes both the coolant passages in the block and the radiator. It's highly likely that there is a bunch of rubbish in the passages in the block and the radiator restricting coolant flow through the system. Even though you have installed a new thermostat, it does not mean that the thermostat is functioning correctly. Also be sure you have the thermostat is installed correctly as I had a 61 Lark with a 259 towed in a couple of months ago due to overheating after an engine rebuild. The engine rebuilder had installed the thermostat upside down probably by accident which caused the engine to continually overheat. Bud

Comment

Check the height of the water pump impeller. It should be .937 from the outert top edge of the impeller to the gasket surface. If it is less, then all it is doing is cavitating and not pumpung.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will do a full flush first, look at the water pump and maybe put a 160 vs 180 thermostat. If that doesn't work then it looks like the unpleasant task of core plug removal and cleaning.

Comment

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/...WPC1/wpc1.html

http://links.giveawayoftheday.com/studebaker-info.org/

Comment

Update--took the car into a good shop. They had a heat sensing camera that showed issues with the radiator. I am having it re-cored, and as long as I am doing it, putting in a new water pump and having them clean the block. Will report back in a week or two when its done.

Comment

Check the new water pump before installing it. A number of them have been made with an impeller that does not reach far enough into the water manifold to interact properly with the inner surface of the manifold. Bez mentioned this in post #9.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

"They had a heat sensing camera that showed issues with the radiator. "
                            There are cheaper and DIY forms of that diagnostic test, but tales of thoughtful diagnostics before parts changin' always make me feel like PM starting 16 seconds here -
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiLXCCMHjfE

Comment

So re-cored the radiator, new water pump, new thermastat, flushed, knocked out 1 freeze flug and cleaned.....still overheating.............not even a lick better! Suggestions other that knockout more freeze plugs? Maybe I got a bad water pump? Is there one recommended to order better than other. Signed Steamed in San Antonio.

Comment

Working...
                              X