Transmission noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Transmission noise

The automatic transmission on my 63 Hawk makes a whining noise when in park or reverse. It shifts fine when driving. It is worse if parked on an incline. Anyone have ideas as to what could cause that

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Terry!

You have Low Oil or a Low Throttle pressure adjustment, which COULD be caused by Bad Engine mounts or replaced without re-adjustment.

Use ATF Type "F" for Ford, and check warm in DRIVE, wheels blocked, Prk. Brake set.

Verify that the Left Rear Engine/Trans. Mount has the 5/8" thick Cast Iron SPACER between the Frame and the Mount.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-03-2019, 12:54 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

ditto. That's how youcan tell you're a pint low!! If it has F or FA in it use that. If not use Dexron which is sorta-kinda type A. Type F will move the shift from 2nd to hi up about 10 mph so its preferred by those who like acceleration (and who doesn't) Always check fluid after car has warmed up a bit so that fluid will be pumped into torque converter. If you check it cold you will get a falsely high reading on your dipstick

Comment

Lots of good adyice, and a Welcome fro a fellow Arky. if that pesky spacer is missing give a shout,i am in North Little Rock and have a spare. Welcome to the Asylum! Luck Doofus

Comment

The spacer is missing, and I am uncertain as to where to obtain one. Thanks to all for the good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by toliver View Post
            The spacer is missing, and I am uncertain as to where to obtain one. Thanks to all for the good advice.
            The spacer is a round piece made from cast iron, 1/2” thick. Lacking that, use 7/16” flat washers. They are about 1/8” thick, so a stack of 4 of them will give you the 1/2” spacer required.

Comment

Installed spacer today. Problem solved. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

It would be interesting to know WHERE you got the Spacer and how it came to be missing.

Engine Rebuild?
                Transmission Rebuild?
                Engine Mount replacement?
                Car was never correct since purchase?

Or WHEN the noise developed?
                StudeRich

Comment

Where does the spacer go?

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                    Where does the spacer go?
                    Answer in Post #2.
                    StudeRich

Comment

Oops! Thanks Rich

Comment

Spacer was missing when I purchased the hawk. I used 7/16 washers since I didn't have the correct spacer.

Comment

Working...
                        X