Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Golden Hawk R2 modification. What carb do I run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have the original WW carb it should be jetted already for boost enrichment. So double check that first. Then source some bigger jet numbers and rejet based on A/F readings under a chassis dyno load. As for the 2 barrel tall intake have the plenum and port entrance runners ported and opened up some. The exhaust crossover cavity surrounds the upper plenum so keep that in mind.

A good 30 + years ago I raced a Hawk with the GH 57 Blower carb combo. Moved it gradually into the low 13's and a best of 12.98 with the VS blower and 2 barrel. Heads were set up just like yours (early DD mods) and R cam, 3.54 posi. The blower though was modified for fix ratio by removing the variable ratio inner spring and locking the slider pulley to a near minimum diameter. Fuel pump was carter boost reference R2 design. That's my limited experience with blown 2 barrel WW induction.

Good luck and hope this helps.
    Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Originally posted by Lavender_L57 View Post
      Ok. Got out the spec sheet for the cam, I was a little off. P/N CS6R21 110 F/T. ADV. DUR. 282 INT AND EXHAUST, 222@050, .447 LIFT INT AND EXHAUST, 110 LOBE CENTER, CENTER LINE 104. It's a R2 regrind from Fairborn.
      Something seems still odd there. Sixty degrees difference between the .050" and the advertised duration is quite a bit more than usual. For example, a CompCams 282 advertised duration solid lifter cam is 236 @ .050", or 46 degrees difference. The factory R1/R2 is 260 advertised and 223.6 @ .050", or 36.4 degrees difference.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mvmJanqck2AYkZgP7

Comment

Not sure if my photo got attached. Double checked and the numbers are correct. Fairborn lists this cam as R2+

Comment

Not sure if my photo got attached. Double checked and the numbers are correct. Fairborn lists this cam as R2+
            Yes, I can see the cam card; FWIW, when I run those specs on my DynoSim, it says 222 intake, 229 exhaust, which would be the dual pattern you mentioned earlier.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm currently working on gathering my engine parts together for reassembly. I will consider the SC upgrades mentioned above, sounds interesting. If I could find vintage 4b intake carb and hat ,that would satify me. I think I saw an Offenhouser set up on eBay a while back. I'll start looking again. Cheers!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm currently working on gathering my engine parts together for reassembly. I will consider the SC upgrades mentioned above, sounds interesting. If I could find vintage 4b intake carb and hat ,that would satify me. I think I saw an Offenhouser set up on eBay a while back. I'll start looking again. Cheers!
                Investigate carefully before paying bucks for one of those vintage intake manifolds. Many were sized for the '51-54 232" head ports and will actually choke the '55 and up heads.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Nice! Excellent advise. I didn't think of that. I'll be sure to verify this before I spend that money!

Comment

Working...
                  X