Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Golden Hawk R2 modification. What carb do I run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 1957 Golden Hawk R2 modification. What carb do I run?

I have a 1957 Golden Hawk with a Fairborn R2 cam, fully ported 555 heads, 9:1 compression, Avanti headers. I want to retain the original SC set up including the 2BB intake and pressure chamber. Will the original 2BB carb work with modifications or is the CRM now too small to match my power upgrades? I'm considering using a new Carter 500cfm 2BB and and reworking the intake manifold to fit the larger venturis and bolt pattern. The tricky part is I want to keep it looking stock. I really want to keep the original pressure chamber

When considering such projects, ask yourself, "What percentage of my driving will be above 4500 RPM?"

Will the original 2BB carb work with modifications or is the CRM now too small to match my power upgrades?
    Your original '57 GH 2-bbl setup was not the limiting factor; it was still making power when the valves began to float around 4500 RPM, so it will be adequate for those occasional full throttle runs where it exceeds 4500 for a few seconds.

The tricky part is I want to keep it looking stock. I really want to keep the original pressure chamber
    Yes, it would make slightly more top end power with the R2 AFB and hat or the R3 airbox, but then you've already made that decision.

As to whether to step off the deep end with modifying the 2-bbl system for an unknown carburetor, again, the gain for those few seconds above 4500 may not be worth the considerable challenges involved.

If it were my project, I'd spend that money on a chassis dyno tuning session for air/fuel ratio, fuel pressure, ignition timing.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Back in the old days of hot rodding, if you wanted a little more from your carburetor, you slightly enlarged your main jet size with a new drill bit. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a new carb or manifold, you bought a $3.00 drill bit. And, after a while, if you didn’t like your reduced gas mileage, swap in a replacement set of jets.

Comment

I agree it's a bit of engineering and machining to get everything that needs to come together and work correctly. Maybe another Stromberg WW from a larger engine might add performance; providing I can make all the connections to the air box.😀

Comment

I will consider that, thanks. I don't want to open a can of worms!

Comment

Originally posted by Lavender_L57 View Post
            I agree it's a bit of engineering and machining to get everything that needs to come together and work correctly. Maybe another Stromberg WW from a larger engine might add performance; providing I can make all the connections to the air box.😀
            Your comment caused me to investigate something I'd never considered. Yes, there were larger versions of the Stromberg WW.
            There were main two versions, the smaller WW which fit a standard SAE 1 1/4” flange and the larger WWC which mounted on the larger 1 1/2” flange. WWC carburetors were used on larger Mopar V8s and on some GMC engines. The two can be distinguished by the location of the accelerator pump acutator. On the smaller units, the pump protrudes through the top of the airhorn and is moved by a lever (Stromberg WW). On the larger version, the pump is internal and is actuated on the side by the pump rod (Stromberg WWC).
            However, converting the intake manifold to accept a slightly larger base is a lot of work. It could be done, but the different carburetor would probably cause a cascading effect with the fuel lines, linkage, choke and so on.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

The GMC 305 V-6 truck engine used a WW Stromberg. Top and bottom are different, but the middle casting will interchange with a Studebaker WW.

Comment

How did we live before the internet. Ok. I think I'm trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Since I want maximum power, I think the thing for me to do is to go ahead and intall a 4bb intake manifold, a 500cfm 4b carburetor, R2 hat connected to the original SC. Then fabricate a small mounting plate to mount my original 2b air box cover over the 4b carburetor R2 hat. The now "dummy" orignal air box is now under the hood looking good. I think I figured out how to make a dummy pipe to connect to the original air box. With engine and intake painted turquoise, this would work fine for me. Thanks!

Comment

Did you ever think of going with a FI system? They make them now in a two barrel set up.

Comment

If you want it to look stock, rebuild and re-jet WW. They are good and like the guy said how much time is engine going to be over 3k rpm? VS-57 blower doesn't do much til then anyway. ps: Had blower overhauled by CUNDN in Texas. The took out the VS cause you can't find a working solenoid any more (they had 50-none of the were within spec.) This gives pressure at lower end like R-2 cars of 60's and ought to greatly improve accel. They are fairly fast and quite reasonable $ wise.
                    Last edited by Jeffry Cassel; 04-05-2019, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Lavender_L57
                      Seeing as in your original post you stated your preference for the "stock look", instead of changing so much stuff (remember, for each change usually 6 other things are affected) why don't you let Brad Bez do a performance upgrade and rebuild to your VS57 which will include impeller modification and more to increase boost? There is no easier power increase and he did that to my VS57 (1957 Packard) and you retain everything from 1957. A re-jet is simple in the future if required with the added boost. Boost=Horse Power.
                      Luck,
                      Bill

Comment

First, I'm not sure what "fully ported heads" consists of.
                        Second, for what time and or money that you spent on these heads, you want to choke it off with a two barrel ? Supercharger or not. Small holes is as small holes does..!

Yes, a MUCH better choice is the new AVS 500cfm Edelbrock carburetor.

Mike

Comment

I'm wanting to have my GH look as stock as possible but with as much performance upgrades as possible. The car has 4 wheel disk brakes, tandem master, quick steering links, XHD shocks, XHD swaybar, flanged rear wheel bearings, Twin Traction 3:31. The transmission is a TH350 with shift kit, 2000rpm stall TC. The engine, Fairborn balanced rotating assembly. .040 over 289, R2 cam, dual pattern .448 lift 223 duration at fifty., Heads 555 with slightly larger SBC stainless steel valves. R2 springs. Heads are port matched to gaskets intake and exhaust, all runners have been opened up .060 each wall and roof, floors smoothed out. Bowles fully opened up with guides flush. Avanti headers, 2-1/4 exhaust system with A pipes., 24" glasspacks. The intake system is the bottle neck. I want the engine to look stock or "period authentic". I also want to run Nostalgia drags occasionally. I'll bypass the waterbox, no burnout.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavender_L57 View Post
                            R2 cam, dual pattern .448 lift 223 duration at fifty., .
                            Was this a regrind on an R1/R2 cam core? Can you give more details on the dual pattern? Who furnished it?

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Ok. Got out the spec sheet for the cam, I was a little off. P/N CS6R21 110 F/T. ADV. DUR. 282 INT AND EXHAUST, 222@050, .447 LIFT INT AND EXHAUST, 110 LOBE CENTER, CENTER LINE 104. It's a R2 regrind from Fairborn.

Comment

Working...
                              X