Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Helix -Stude front suspension package....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Helix -Stude front suspension package....

Sorry if this has been discussed previously.

This link shows the general product . This one is Manual rack , but they have Power as well.

Anyone here have some knowledge / experience with these?
    (Some of the links show out of stock , but via phone calls by me , they indicate that they do
    have them . ) Some kits seem to show " does not include x-member , but some do have it .
    Looks to me like it is designed to weld onto the Stude frame after removing the original
    Stude x member etc .

They have them configured with air bags And without .
    I'm curious , since this is the only place that has Studebaker actually specifically listed . There is a bunch
    of configurations and years listed .

https://www.helixsuspension.com/cata...anual-LHD-Rack
    Bill H
    Daytona Beach
    SDC member since 1970
    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Are these the kits listed to excess by Jonny Law motors on ebay? Check them out very thoroughly on the internet before committing.

Comment

Originally posted by oilnsteel View Post
      Are these the kits listed to excess by Jonny Law motors on ebay? Check them out very thoroughly on the internet before committing.
      ' nuff said..........

Thanks .
      Yes the Helix site and the Johnnylaw sites both list the same Pkgs . I did not find them via eBay though , but
      by a general search engine routine.... reviews aren't very good overall , as I now see .

I am/ was not going to buy from them , and was just curious if anyone had tried these suspension packages .
      Bill H
      Daytona Beach
      SDC member since 1970
      Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Always curious when these (especially suspension) companies have listings for Studebaker, and they start at 1949. Do they really know Studebakers? Or are they assuming they are like the Big 3, and everything was a new design with them in 1949. But front end suspensions on Studebakers are the same from 47-49. Always makes me wonder how much research they've done on their products.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Two things about this -

1. Same ol Pinto front suspension that will handle no better than a good condition Stude suspension.

2. Don't think (recall) I've seen anyone use a front steer rack assembly. If there is room, in the front...AND...placed in the proper position...AND...is the proper width at the inner joints (NOT just the outer connection !), it might work. By "work", I mean work correctly to have a minimum of bump steer.

So redesign (FIX !) the control arm angles so it handles like a modern car should, and look at the front steer, rack and pinion dimensions carefully...it just may work. But this isn't a simple, easy task..!

Mike

Comment

I spend a lot of time on the Jalopy Journal (old style hot rod site) and the Helix/Johnny Law/etc group is constantly berated for poor quality parts. I'd also suggest that welding a cross member to the Stock Studebaker frame without lots of reinforcement might be a mistake. I have a bolt in MII suspension set up in my 38 Chevy and it was mounted more like the factory would have done it, no welds on a frame that is very similar in profile. Speaking from experience my 38 Chevy doesn't ride all that much better than it did with a straight axle although having a tight rack and pinion is far better than a loose original steering box. The 53 I am building uses rebuilt front suspension and also a steering box with new bushings.

Comment

Working...
            X