Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hallabutt
    replied
    The olive green goes all the way back to the early thirties so probably no Army surplus. The story I have heard is that the engine color originally matched the color of the most popular brands of motor oil, used at the time. That way if some was spilled it would be less unsightly. I can't verify, i'm old but not that old! Thirties Packard green is, to my eye, a perfect match.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    Rockne, I read a post a few weeks ago that said the intake clamps WERE to be black! Just repainted my 53’s from green to black.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    I work at Home Depot putting up stock, saw that color and thought it was a pretty close match.

Leave a comment:

• thom
    replied
    Close enough for me. Rustoleum Hunter Green. I think I will use epoxy black on the valve covers.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    Looks good to me.....
    Wasn't the original color an Olive Drab anyway? Probably some leftover army paint.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    So what color did you actually use? Looks pretty close to me.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by thom View Post
    Those pics were of course taken after I cleaned the engine, before I painted it, but after I removed the valve covers. I guess someone had painted it John Deere green in the past.
    Here's the new color. The valve covers and front parts will get painted and put back on tomorrow.
    It will also get new hoses tomorrow.
    Your car, your choice to go with the incorrect color. I am just glad that you are bringing the car back.

Leave a comment:

• thom
    replied
    Those pics were of course taken after I cleaned the engine, before I painted it, but after I removed the valve covers. I guess someone had painted it John Deere green in the past.
    Here's the new color. The valve covers and front parts will get painted and put back on tomorrow.
    It will also get new hoses tomorrow.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Those Pics look like the Bright, Light Green already burned off! Engine enamel should last a bit longer than a few Days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	52 Starlight9.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1727555

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    No stress Thom, just order the correct color from one of our vendors!! You’ll be so glad you did when you see the finished job.

Leave a comment:

• thom
    replied
    I found a dark green Rustoleum that I like so I'm going with it. Enough stressing about it already! I finished cleaning my engine to prep for the paint today and was pleased with how well it cleaned up. I was amazed when I removed the valve covers at how clean everything is under there. The odometer shows 98,900 miles and I don't know any history of rebuilds or valve jobs having been done but this is the cleanest 98,000 mile engine that I've ever seen.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Things like generators and air cleaners were purchased from outside suppliers like Delco and United -- so they were painted whatever color that supplier used. In most cases, it was a black that was somewhere between gloss and semi-gloss. Eastwood sells an Underhood Black that is a good match.

I doubt that there is a readily available color code for the Studebaker engine green. As noted, it's available from Stude vendors, so nobody is trying to match it independently.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by thom View Post
    Ok, I have given up finding any correct paint for my engine, in spray cans, locally. However I can have some mixed at the local NAPA store and spray it in my small detail or touch-up gun. Can anyone tell me a formula or color code number that will get me the right color?
    Also, it appears that some things under the hood should be painted gloss black and some others should be semi-gloss. Am I right? For example, air cleaner and valve covers go glossy while the wiper motor,( half of it any way), both blower motors, fan, pulleys, and generator brackets go semi. Thanks.
    I do not know about the locally part, but Studebaker and Packard vendors carry the engine paint.

Leave a comment:

• thom
    replied
    Ok, I have given up finding any correct paint for my engine, in spray cans, locally. However I can have some mixed at the local NAPA store and spray it in my small detail or touch-up gun. Can anyone tell me a formula or color code number that will get me the right color?
    Also, it appears that some things under the hood should be painted gloss black and some others should be semi-gloss. Am I right? For example, air cleaner and valve covers go glossy while the wiper motor,( half of it any way), both blower motors, fan, pulleys, and generator brackets go semi. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    Agree with Gary....

Also, while you're in there, carefully inspect the wiring. If that stuff looks the least bit bad, start replacing it, or risk a fire later.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X