detailing a '52 Commander V8 engine & under hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: detailing a '52 Commander V8 engine & under hood

I have been really taking advantage of the vast amount of knowledge on here the last few days, since we got our "new" '52 Commander.
    I want to tidy things up a bit under the hood and hopefully add an oil filter, which it does not currently have. I want to paint the engine and everything back the right colors. I see some traces of what looks like John Deere green on the valve covers and the intake manifold clamps. Where can I find a picture (or three) of an engine that is painted back like mine should be? I am fortunate that I have the air cleaner and all the correct parts, except for a chrome accessory oil filler cap and the oil filter can that I'm looking for. I will be looking to order the correct decals required, so I need to see what is required and where they go. Thanks.
    thom

Your engine should be olive/Army green with black valve covers, black air cleaner.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

We're gonna help you a lot here, Thom; but you really do need to join the Studebaker Drivers Club and procure the three essential manuals to facilitate your ownership of a marque reserved for the elite aficionado.
      And, as long as you are aiming for authenticity, never use red heater hose in your Studebaker like this poor fool did.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4240008.jpg Views:	6 Size:	122.2 KB ID:	1725887
      Last edited by rockne10; 11-24-2020, 11:21 AM.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I have discovered that my air cleaner, that was in the trunk of the car when I got it, is slightly bent on opposite sides, like it has been squeezed in a big vice. I would like to straighten it and paint it. I'm trying to decide how to go about it. One option would be to drill holes and put sheet metal screws in the holes, then use a slide hammer to pull the dents. Another option would be to cut the air cleaner housing open, straighten it, then weld it back up. I think I could better work out the damage by opening it up. I will post some pics in the morning.
        thom

Comment

Originally posted by thom View Post
          I have discovered that my air cleaner, that was in the trunk of the car when I got it, is slightly bent on opposite sides, like it has been squeezed in a big vice. I would like to straighten it and paint it. I'm trying to decide how to go about it. One option would be to drill holes and put sheet metal screws in the holes, then use a slide hammer to pull the dents. Another option would be to cut the air cleaner housing open, straighten it, then weld it back up. I think I could better work out the damage by opening it up. I will post some pics in the morning.
          Seems much simpler to just get another used one (unbent) and paint it.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Agree with Gary....

Also, while you're in there, carefully inspect the wiring. If that stuff looks the least bit bad, start replacing it, or risk a fire later.

Comment

Ok, I have given up finding any correct paint for my engine, in spray cans, locally. However I can have some mixed at the local NAPA store and spray it in my small detail or touch-up gun. Can anyone tell me a formula or color code number that will get me the right color?
              Also, it appears that some things under the hood should be painted gloss black and some others should be semi-gloss. Am I right? For example, air cleaner and valve covers go glossy while the wiper motor,( half of it any way), both blower motors, fan, pulleys, and generator brackets go semi. Thanks.
              thom

Comment

Ok, I have given up finding any correct paint for my engine, in spray cans, locally. However I can have some mixed at the local NAPA store and spray it in my small detail or touch-up gun. Can anyone tell me a formula or color code number that will get me the right color?
                Also, it appears that some things under the hood should be painted gloss black and some others should be semi-gloss. Am I right? For example, air cleaner and valve covers go glossy while the wiper motor,( half of it any way), both blower motors, fan, pulleys, and generator brackets go semi. Thanks.
                I do not know about the locally part, but Studebaker and Packard vendors carry the engine paint.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Things like generators and air cleaners were purchased from outside suppliers like Delco and United -- so they were painted whatever color that supplier used. In most cases, it was a black that was somewhere between gloss and semi-gloss. Eastwood sells an Underhood Black that is a good match.

I doubt that there is a readily available color code for the Studebaker engine green. As noted, it's available from Stude vendors, so nobody is trying to match it independently.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

I found a dark green Rustoleum that I like so I'm going with it. Enough stressing about it already! I finished cleaning my engine to prep for the paint today and was pleased with how well it cleaned up. I was amazed when I removed the valve covers at how clean everything is under there. The odometer shows 98,900 miles and I don't know any history of rebuilds or valve jobs having been done but this is the cleanest 98,000 mile engine that I've ever seen.
                    Attached Files
                    thom

Comment

No stress Thom, just order the correct color from one of our vendors!! You’ll be so glad you did when you see the finished job.

Comment

Those Pics look like the Bright, Light Green already burned off! Engine enamel should last a bit longer than a few Days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	52 Starlight9.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1727555
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Those pics were of course taken after I cleaned the engine, before I painted it, but after I removed the valve covers. I guess someone had painted it John Deere green in the past.
                          Here's the new color. The valve covers and front parts will get painted and put back on tomorrow.
                          It will also get new hoses tomorrow.
                          Attached Files
                          thom

Comment

Those pics were of course taken after I cleaned the engine, before I painted it, but after I removed the valve covers. I guess someone had painted it John Deere green in the past.
                            Here's the new color. The valve covers and front parts will get painted and put back on tomorrow.
                            It will also get new hoses tomorrow.
                            Your car, your choice to go with the incorrect color. I am just glad that you are bringing the car back.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

So what color did you actually use? Looks pretty close to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X