oil filter for my '52 Commander V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: oil filter for my '52 Commander V8

My "new" '52 Commander with the V8 does not have an oil filter but I would like to install one. I am going to a swap meet this weekend (probably Friday) where I might be able to find one. Problem is, I don't know exactly what one looks like, and how it mounts to the engine. Can anyone show me a good picture, or three of the filter can and mounting bracket I need? I will much appreciate it. Thanks.
    thom

It was a Fram F4 Canister Type that uses a C4 drop-in Element, Orange with a Black Lid or Solid Black.

You would have to find one from a Studebaker V8 with the mounting Brackets to make the install ON the Engine (Oil Filler Pipe) like an Original, and neater.

It would be better to buy it from a Studebaker Vendor or a Forum Member here.
    There is a For Sale/Wanted Forum here.

Please refer ONLY to post #3 over here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?110236-Oil-filter-canister-color&highlight=Oil+Filter

There is WAY too much off Topic back and forth on the rest of that string that will not help you.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-01-2019, 11:44 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This NOS kit is on Ebay but it lists for a 55-57. Maybe it would fit yours?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1955-19...53.m1438.l2649

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Klinger View Post
        This NOS kit is on Ebay but it lists for a 55-57. Maybe it would fit yours?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1955-19...53.m1438.l2649
        That kit could be made to work, but it is for a spin-on filter. If the OP wants an original type filter, it must be the cartridge type.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Fram is incorrect, these Kits were Studebaker Factory Correct on 1958 to Early 1962, but I do see that it was printed in Late 1956, so they did only know about up to 1957 Models, I will give em that, but still incorrect about '55 to '57.

Will they WORK on ANY Stude. V8?
          Sure, only minor adjustments and Parts are needed for some years, like an Aluminum, taller, straighter Oil fill Pipe from a '61-'62 if desired.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thom,
            If you plan on keeping your "new" '52 Commander for any length of time, I would recommend you purchase a Chassis Parts Catalog and a Body Parts Catalog, along with the 1951 Shop Manual.
            Page 29 in the Chassis Catalog shows all filter kits used in models from 1951 through 1954. And from the body tag on the firewall you will note yours is a model 3H.

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1725878
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

OK, I probably will pick up some more manuals. I have some Studebaker books already, but none that cover the '52 Commander in detail. I plan, God willing, and weather permitting, to attend the spring Autofair this weekend at the Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord NC. There should be some books and manuals available there. In the meantime, I also need to know how the oil filter can is plumbed to the engine. Are there two lines/pipes/hoses? Or direct connection? Thanks.
              thom

Comment

Here's mine. There's a special fitting in the left head with 2 lines that feed the oil filter and the fuel pump lubrication. The return from the pump routes to the base of the oil filler tower. There is a restricted orifice in the inlet fitting to the filter.

Name:	20190402_155837.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1725884Click image for larger version

Name:	20190402_155937.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1725885
                3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Originally posted by thom View Post
                  ...spring Autofair this weekend at the Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord NC. There should be some books and manuals available there.
                  Don't know if these prices are still accurate; they're four years old.
                  The books are available in new print, or can be found at swap meets or on line auctions; or all in a bunch on one CD-ROM for about $20, though the resolution on the CD isn't as good as the printed versions.

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1725888 Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1725889
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10,
                  '51 Commander Starlight,
                  '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                  '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

My recommendation is to not install an oil fiter. The car did just fine for 67 years. Also, the oil and its additives are much better now than they were a half a Century ago. Also, you will probably be changing the oil frequently and driving the car gently.
                    Last edited by studegary; 04-03-2019, 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm not so much concerned about having the filter for the actual function as the "looks" of it being present on the engine, really. Is that silly?
                      That's like having a perfectly good running engine and then paying money for decals to stick on it, huh?
                      Or changing heater hoses because they are not the color that were on the car from the factory.
                      thom

Comment

Do your own thing..... I was tempted to remove my oil filter from my truck last week because it was leaking at the pressure fitting. So far, it looks like the Permatex sealer on the brass threads are working (in the garage anyway).

Comment

Working...
                        X