Spring spacer yes or no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Spring spacer yes or no

I am installing HD front coils part# 526122 on our 64 GT R2, the old spring appears to be the standard spring as it is taller and appears to be the original spring. My question is, do I use the spacer that was with the "original" springs or not? I want a level car not nose diving or looking to take flight, installing new rear leaf springs as well in HD. Thanks in advance.
    It is an addiction!

The stock HD coils make the car about a 3/8 to half inch lower, so Studebaker made the spacer for the difference. It was mainly used for Wagonaires with A/C and cars with the extra weight from the R2 set up.

This is my opinion: It was not needed. I'd prefer to leave them out for various reasons. The aluminum ones were weak, and did corrode. Some broke, leaving the car lop sided. The steel ones were better if you can find them, however , a 'stack' is not as stable in my opinion. also, a heavy duty Studebaker spring was an understatement. Those things are for a truck and ride pretty hard.

Comment

thanks for the comment,choice will be made in the morning, any other comments?
      It is an addiction!

Comment

I contend there is no sure way to know without installing one way or the other and letting is "settle" for a while... and, go from there. It's really not that big a deal to swap the spacers in or out if you don't fully reassemble AND you have a quality spring compressor. Just be careful and all the best!

Comment

Back in the day I replaced the two front springs in my Avanti with HD spring p/n 526134, and i had a feeling that eventually the springs would sag with the a/c, so I added a 1/2 inch spacer at the bottom.....55 years later still sits beautiful and looks perfect.
          Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post
          I am installing HD front coils part# 526122 on our 64 GT R2, the old spring appears to be the standard spring as it is taller and appears to be the original spring. My question is, do I use the spacer that was with the "original" springs or not? I want a level car not nose diving or looking to take flight, installing new rear leaf springs as well in HD. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
            Back in the day I replaced the two front springs in my Avanti with HD spring p/n 526134, and i had a feeling that eventually the springs would sag with the a/c, so I added a 1/2 inch spacer at the bottom.....55 years later still sits beautiful and looks perfect.
            You replaced the springs on a one year old Avanti?
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Correction......52 years later..... senility setting in;-(
              Originally posted by studegary View Post
              You replaced the springs on a one year old Avanti?

Comment

I put the spacers in figuered if I don't like the ride height I can take them out total rebuild of front to rear suspension completed. 1964 R2 full package GT going back together. Frame off restoration.
                It is an addiction!

Comment

Working...
                X