210HP vs 225HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack,
    The engine runs great on 93 octane, ethanol free. It's really "peppy", too...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
      Jack, The engine runs great on 93 octane, ethanol free. It's really "peppy", too...
      Agree, as long as one can find the 93-octane ethanol free and is willing to pay the premium price for it. At present, there's only one outlet in our county which has 93-octane. It's fifteen miles out of my way and charges essentially 2X the price of 91-octane with ethanol.

Just for the good of the order, when you find the time, you might run a compression test and report your findings.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

So, in a word, "aspiration?" Yeah, aspiring to more power!

(btw, I had a '55 Commander with "Power Pack," but it still didn't have much)

Comment

Will have compression check figures tomorrow...

Comment

Some twenty plus years ago I purchased a '63 Lark with a six cylinder that had the usual cracked head malady. It was a rust free TX car so I ditched the six for a low mileage 259 that ended up having a spun rod. Pulled the engine had that particular rod trued then used my last set of JC Whitney chrome rings on the original bores along with an entire set of new bearings. I left the original single exhaust that was in it and pressed on.

This was back when premium gas was around a dollar or less in the late 1990's and manged to break a half dozen motor mounts and one broke both of 'em at the same time where the whole engine shifted in the "cradle." Managed to nurse it home but had it towed to the shop on Sunday morning. Opened the hood, jacked up the motor, replaced both motor mounts in about an hour.

That car had a 3.07 rear, would get about 22-24 mpg and to me was a perfect match. Sold it around 2003 for $500 and regretted doing so ever since...

Comment

I had my freshly rebuilt 289, .030 over, balanced rotating assembly, 4 bbl, petronix distributor run on a Dyno before it was installed in my GT Hawk. Carb jetting to get 14.7 fuel/air ratio. Everything was stock. Best pull was 165 hp. Curious as to how Studebaker came up with their advertised hp. See YouTube - Pete's Garage Studebaker engine rebuild. What Dyno pulls have others had with stock engine?
              Peter Bishop
              Director,
              Northeast Zone

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
                I had my freshly rebuilt 289, .030 over, balanced rotating assembly, 4 bbl, petronix distributor run on a Dyno before it was installed in my GT Hawk. Carb jetting to get 14.7 fuel/air ratio. Everything was stock. Best pull was 165 hp. Curious as to how Studebaker came up with their advertised hp. See YouTube - Pete's Garage Studebaker engine rebuild. What Dyno pulls have others had with stock engine?
                I believe back then HP was rated at the crank, your dyno pulls are more real world and measured at the ground.
                sigpic

Comment

run on a Dyno before it was installed in my GT Hawk. . . . Best pull was 165 hp.
                  Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                  I believe back then HP was rated at the crank, your dyno pulls are more real world and measured at the ground.
                  If I'm interpreting this correctly, the 165 hp was on an engine dyno at the crankshaft.

FWIW, I've found my dyno results to be closer to Studebaker's advertised figures. Also, when I input all the parameters into the DynoSim program, it predicts horsepower close to advertised; an R1 comes in at 237hp, essentially at its 240hp rating.
                  PackardV8

Comment

Compression = 174 - 177...

Comment

Sounds low. Squirt some oil into one of the cylinders. If the compression improves, maybe the rings have not seated yet.
                      78 Avanti RQB 2792
                      64 Avanti R1 R5408
                      63 Avanti R1 R4551
                      63 Avanti R1 R2281
                      62 GT Hawk V15949
                      56 GH 6032504
                      56 GH 6032588
                      55 Speedster 7160047
                      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                        Compression = 174 - 177...
                        The good news is the compression is very even across all eight. That's important for a smooth running engine. It also explains how your engine does not have any pinging problems. The R1 range is 185-195 PSI and they do ping.
                        Sounds low. Squirt some oil into one of the cylinders. If the compression improves, maybe the rings have not seated yet.
                        Agree, 177 PSI is high for a stock 225hp, but low for flat top pistons, thin gaskets, 555 heads, stock cam.

As mentioned earlier, I saw a very similar build blow 220 PSI and ping terribly on hard pulls on hot days.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Almost 50 miles on cast iron rings...

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            The good news is the compression is very even across all eight. That's important for a smooth running engine. It also explains how your engine does not have any pinging problems. The R1 range is 185-195 PSI and they do ping.
                            Agree, 177 PSI is high for a stock 225hp, but low for flat top pistons, thin gaskets, 555 heads, stock cam.

As mentioned earlier, I saw a very similar build blow 220 PSI and ping terribly on hard pulls on hot days.

jack vines
                            Sorry Jack; I missed the " before it was installed in my GT Hawk." part, my mistake.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X