210HP vs 225HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 210HP vs 225HP

What are the differences between a 210HP 289, and a 225HP 289.....(besides 15HP)?

Dual exhaust and I believe a four barrel carburetor.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Back in the 50s & 60s most V8 engines of the "Big 3" and Studebaker were offered in 2 configurations. With 2 bbl carb and single exhaust and at extra cost 4 bbl carb and duel exhaust. The extra cost one was sometimes called something like Power Pack.

Comment

Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
        Back in the 50s & 60s most V8 engines of the "Big 3" and Studebaker were offered in 2 configurations. With 2 bbl carb and single exhaust and at extra cost 4 bbl carb and duel exhaust. The extra cost one was sometimes called something like Power Pack.
        In its heyday, the 283" SBC was offered in eight different horsepower ratings of the same displacement; from 170hp to 315hp. There were 2-bbl, 4-bbl, 2x4bbls, fuel injection, hydraulic lifter and solid lifter, low compression, medium compression, high compression.

After typing that, I flashed back to the early '50s Packard 327" straight eight. While making only a few thousand cars, the 327" was built as a 2-bbl or 4-bbl, solid lifter or hydraulic, five-main bearing or nine-main-bearing.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

So, in a word, "aspiration?"
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I'm trying to find out which 289 version I might have...Sky Hawk 289, .030 over Flat top pistons, 555 heads, shim head gaskets, dual exhaust, Edelbroc 1403, small Delco Pertronix, R1 valve springs, and fresh total rebuild.
            Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 03-31-2019, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
              I'm trying to find out which 289 version I might have...Sky Hawk 289, .030 over Flat top pistons, 555 heads, shim head gaskets, dual exhaust, Edelbroc 1403, small Delco Pertronix, fresh total rebuild.
              So you're really asking for a guesstimate of the current developed horsepower. Since it was originally 225hp, the minor changes made could add maybe 5-7 horsepower, so 230-232hp max.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                So, in a word, "aspiration?"
                Does this mean it aspires to be 335HP?
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Jack.....

Comment

If I remember correctly the '56 289 with 4V carb & dual exhaust was rated by Studebaker at somewhat less than 225 HP. I can't recall exactly what the HP rating was (210 ???), but the 225 HP rating wasn't applied to that engine until later, maybe 1957.
                    -Dwight
                    Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 04-01-2019, 07:08 AM.

Comment

60 and later Hawks all had dual exhausts. The 2V carb was rated at 210. Not sure which cars had 2V carbs, single exhausts and a 210 hp rating.
                      David L

Comment

Flat top pistons, 555 heads,[same cc as 570 heads] thin gaskets. 10.5 compression. Basic R1. 240 hp. All guesses. only a dyno would know.

Comment

Both Sky Hawks I owned were rated at 210 hp as they used if I remember correctly the 986 heads which were around 7.8 to 1 compression. The use of the 555 heads raises the compression to 8.5 to 1 and a slight increase in horsepower. The later 289's with the Stromberg WW carburetor were rated at 210 horsepower and 225 with a 4 barrel carburetor. The later Hawks with the two barrel carburetor came from the factory with dual exhaust. If your engine has flat top pistons, the compression is now around 10 to 1 which raises the horsepower, the later four barrel carburetor and R1 valve springs, probably not much if any. Like DieselJim says, the only way to know the actual horsepower is to put the car on a dyno, anything else is just guessing. Bud

Comment

Wow...
                            So many combinations..!

Mike

Comment

It would be instructive to run a compression test on your build. As mentioned, flat top pistons and thin head gaskets could theoretically raise the compression to 10.25 or more.

The potential problem arises when that R1 compression is used with the stock 225hp cam. The shorter cam duration can raise the cranking compression from the already high 185 - 195 PSI of the R1 to a much too high for today's premium; sometimes as much as 220 PSI. That cranking compression is guaranteed to ping like a poltergeist when the engine is in a pull on a hot day.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X