No announcement yet.

Rotor Delco 8cyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think anything good or bad will happen if a resistor type rotor and resistor core plug wires are used on the same engine. In most applications no difference in engine performance will occur. Maybe in a racing engine, there could be a problem if every volt put out by the coil does not make it to the spark plugs, but in a stock engine driven on the street don't worry about it. I use the non resistor rotors because they are about half the price of a resistor type rotor, are more readily available and don't have the problem of throwing the carbon rod. Plus most replacement plug lead sets now have some kind of resistor core so the resistor is not needed in the rotor. Bud

Comment

The rotor I bought has the carbon epoxyed in. So should work okay with pertronix?
      I wish I would have known about together rotor earlier
      Last edited by TXmark; 04-02-2019, 01:20 PM.
      Mark Riesch
      New Bern, NC

Comment

"Post 38 has NOTHING to do with the Resistance and the Radio, and what might happen if you use resistance Plug Wires with the STOCK resistance Rotor that MOST Studes. with that Distributor do have. "

Add modern resistor plugs like most old cars run these days and you had better have AAA.
        Just sayin'
        '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

As long as your just sayin, could you please explain how having the 3 items you’ve mentioned affect the operation of the motor? What is the potential for damage to the motor?

Comment

Did you tell him it was a "Jesus Nail"?

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
            I bought a Lark in Indiana that was owned by a pastor.
            He was not home when I came for the car but his wife was there and explained that the pastor had several people try to get the car running but gave up.
            I quickly determined that the resistor was missing and I did not have an other rotor.
            I found a nail on his workbench and a side cutter to make a replacement for the resistor and drove the car home.
            The pastor called me later and told me that his wife told him that I put a nail in the car and it started.He was very curious where I put the nail.

Comment

Originally posted by Bills R2 View Post
              "Post 38 has NOTHING to do with the Resistance and the Radio, and what might happen if you use resistance Plug Wires with the STOCK resistance Rotor that MOST Studes. with that Distributor do have. "

Add modern resistor plugs like most old cars run these days and you had better have AAA.
              Just sayin'
              That's Funny, I have never called AAA because my Radio had too strong a Signal!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

While it's not the best idea to use resistor core plug leads, a resistor type rotor and resistor plugs, I doubt that there would be a problem with getting the engine started in most Studebakers as I've seen engines with all of those parts installed and they run fine. Bud

Comment

Don't know who is talking about Radios or "stock" everything. And I had no issue getting the motor started. And putting 5K on it. Thought she ran pretty sweet. For a while.
                  I also expect that anyone with 29K posts has swung a few wrenches in his time. BUT put too much resistance in a system that was not designed for it and now that increasingly amplified spark is going to do things that were unintended. The GM HEI cap was created for the solution to a problem.

HEI cap.
                  '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Thanks Bud for the tip on using DR309. I am getting one of my dad's cars suitable for fun and I dropped the rotor. Yep, the inanimate carbon rod broke. i replaced it with a much cheaper DR309. Thanks again!

Comment

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help you. Bud

Comment

Working...
                      X